Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a box of 180 grain Rainier bullets .40S&W recently and I was seeing some variation in my groups. So I started grabbing a handfull of bullets out of the box and weighing them on an electronic scale. On 180 grain I found up to 2 grains + or - with only 10% or less right on 180grain.

I had the same problem with Rainier bullets in 9mm 124 gr and .45 ACP 230gr - with + - 2 grains as kind of the "norm". I've switched over to Montana Gold in all calibers and for the most part the bullets I've checked are = - 0.2grains which is a lot better.

What are you seeing in terms of bullet quality / what kind of bullets are you using for your reloads ?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Rainier is one of the less expensive bullets out there so I would not expect to see really close tolerances in them. I shoot a lot of Berrys which are even less costly and likely as high in variation if not higher. I think jacket material and how it is applied is much more important than weight as I feel balance is more important tha a couple grains of weight. My use is mainly plinking or recreational action type shooting where absolute accuracy is not needed but cost is a factor as I go through a couple 5 gallon bucket of rounds a year. If I were a serious competitor where every 1/10th of a point was important then I would change my tune. For my hunting loads I use the bullet that is the best performer that gives the accuracy I find acceptable for the range I plan on shooting. An superbly accurate bullet that breaks up before reaching the vitals is not any better of a choice than a stoutly constructed bullet that can't group on the side of a barn. Something in the middle, shading towards construction if pushed, is my hunting pereference.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm no longer a hunter - just recreational shooting and a pretty casual defensive pistol league.

I understand you often get what you pay for - and maybe I was naive but I had no idea low cost bullets were that far out of tolerance at least in terms of the weight. I expected them to have cheaper jacketing processes, etc but good to know you've seen some of the same thing and it wasn't just that one box I picked up.

That case of Montana Gold I picked up last week in 158gr .357 mag / .38 are all showing + - 0.1 grain for the couple of handfuls I've checked, so I'm happy with them - but I'm paying almost $ 0.10 each for them too - but I'm going to stay with that bullet rather than going back to Rainier or West Coast on the cheaper end. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts