Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to sit down and load a bunch of pistol ammo. Why? Because basketball does not interest me, holidays are over, and coyotes prime time is 30 -45 days from now, if the weather holds. I plan on 38sp, 357, 44sp and 44mag loads, these loads are for general shooting, have way to many empty cases, and its the right time to load up if you have the stuff. My ? is, that I normally use a digital scale combo, this would be to slow for the general accuracy I am after. What does this group recommend for a a powder thrower that is smoothe, fast and accurate. I am thinking of weighing every 8-15 loads to see if you are tracking. I have a old RCBS uniflo, its like a coffee grinder with stick powder. I also need a mount that is not a c-clamp for my bench.. Looked at Harrell's are they worht it?
Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Jim. I reload all the calibers you us and the RCBS Uniflo works fine. Most of the time I will load several hundred rounds at the time. You can also get a mount that bolts to your bench which is angled so you can pass a loading blocu under the Uniflo. The powders I use are either ball or flake which do not cause any drag on the operation. Both ball and flake power works very smooth and few adjustments have to be made once set. If you want to purchase a new one I would recommend a Redding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked out the Redding line and decided to order the Match
Grade for both rifle and pistol (AR .223 loads along with pistol). Midway had them for almost a $100 off msrp, and wife can get some off of that where she works. I have a lot of green on my bench now, not real fond of Redding dies though. I did award myself a turret press from Redding last year and was impressed. I think this powder handler is a better green product for me.
Thanks for your input.
Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Lee Autodisk Powder Measure that works great for me. I have found that the disks that measure the charge are not in line with the chart that they provide. However, once you figure out which disk drops the powder you want, it is almost always perfect.

The best part about this contraption is that it fits on top of your second die, which saves a lot of time and effort. It sounds like speed with accuracy is what you are looking for and I can vouch for that. Here is a link to it a midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=537685

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Redding match for pistol and rifle. I have a Pact combo digital that I use for long range rifle. For pistol I will use the Redding/Pact scale for every 5, 10 and up loads to check consistancy. My old RCBS would wander after 5 dumps. For long range bolt rifles I measure every round with my Pact.
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts