Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the Walther Model P22.

I have been looking at .22 Cal pistols for plinking.

This caught my eye the other day in Gander Mtn and I have been considering it as an alternative to my larger Cal. guns for target practice (plinking)as the ammo cost is much less.

any opinions or suggestion on other pistols appreciated.

G

·
My nephew bought one last year. On the 2nd mag the hammer spring broke. He had to send it back to the factory as oppose to the dealer giving him a replacement. It took him about 3-4 weeks to get it back. Luck of the draw - maybe? Yep, Walther is well aware of this issue.

Do research on it. I think there were certain s/n's or models or something.

Good Luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had mine about for about 18 months and have put thousands of rounds through it with no problems or misfires, I understand that earlier models had problems with the magazines and would fail to feed. A Walther rep told me that the mags had been upgraded, the new mags have an "A" suffix. I use Stinger 32 gr. and it feeds these fine.
Check out this review from Handguns mag:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_han ... lther_p22/
It's a fun gun to shoot. I think you'd like it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My brother had one and also had no issues with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had one about 10 months and i put about 500-750 rounds a week through it, Federal cheap stuff. Never a misfire or missed feed. I shoot mostly steel targets that I make and the accuracy is great for the 3" barrel version that I have. I also shoot a kimber stainless target converted to .22 and I can hit anything with the walther that I can with the kimber. I especially like the price(not the gander mtn one) I got mine with laser for 340 out the door. granted I knew the guy but I know he made money. Also if you're gettin a laser you may want the lasermax as the factory one is very weak although it is really accurate.
happy shootin

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the 5" version for about a month and really like it. I had some jams the first day I got it firing Federal bulk ammo. I put several hundred cci stingers through it, and haven't had any other issues with it. I guess it just need some "breaking in". It fires the cheap bulk stuff without a hitch now. If your looking for a fun pistol to plink around with, the p22 fits the bill nicely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought the 5 inch version a few weeks ago and have had it out 3 times now with about 500 rounds threw it using ICC and Yellow Jackets. The only problem I have been having with it is that 2 out of the 3 times it will not fire after first starting to use it. The rounds go threw when racked just fine but the hammer drops and nothing happens. There are no marks made on the rim of the round so it seems the hammer is blocked or something. I drop and reloaded the mag, played with the key safety and the slide safety, manually cock it, fire it D.A. repeatedly on the same round in chamber without racking it and various combinations until it works. Then after some dinking about it starts firing and works the rest of the day without a problem. I have not been able to identify what is causing the problem or what makes it start working. Once it dose start working there has not been on instance where it jams or miss fires at all for the rest of the day. I have stripped it down and cleaned it after shooting it every time following the directions in the manual. Has anybody else run into this or have any ideas about how to correct this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this topic is fairly old by now, but rather than starting a new topic, maybe someone can answer my question here.

I just got a P22 with a 5" barrel. The barrel extension can twist a tiny bit if I grab the extended part and apply a little turning pressure. Since the barrel is actually inside a metal sleeve, I don't think the barrel is turning (when I look at the chamber it doesn't appear to move). Still, is that normal or not?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.