Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about getting a .22 magnum to start teaching wife and daughter how to shoot a pistol and once they get comfortable graduate them up to a higher caliber. Question, does anyone make a .22 magnum pistol with a high capacity magazine. I have seen 9mm's that hold 15+ and was wondering if anyone made a 22 mag that holds like 15-20 or even more...thanks

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
If you opt for the .22 LR pistol you will have a greater selection to chose from, as I can only think of 2 pistols that were chambered for the .22 magnum, they are the AMT automag II and the Grendel P-30.

·
Registered
640 Posts
As mentioned, the 22 LR would be a better choice as the ammo is considerably less expensive and is actually available and affordable in a semi-auto pistol. I have no experience with the Grendel but in the two Auto-Mags I've had the opportunity to use, the 22 mag cartridge was very problem plagued with many failures to feed and eject. It has been rather difficult to get a semi-auto pistol to reliably operate with 22 mag ammunition with no one seeming to be successful (except maybe Grendel).
Finding one can be a problem, I haven't heard of the Grendel name in a decade and AMT has been on again/off again in ownership and production. The last I heard, AMT stopped producing firearms in the late 1990s with rumors of them having started up again recently. I haven't seen nor heard of any new AMTs so cannot verify the accuracy of that rumor. In any case, neither was overly popular with them only showing up on the used rack on occasion.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I own an AMT Auto mag, it's fun to shoot and is a full size auto so a good training pistol. Get factory magazines as after market rarely work properly for this pistol. It is a big step from this pistol to a 9mm so is might be easier to buy a nice 9mm and have them get use to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Grendel P-30 and love it. It has never failed in any way. The price for one these days is about 500 bucks. Buying a 9mm is probably a good bet. A metal one would also absorb more recoil than the plastics. A CZ or EAA Witness can be had for a reasonable price and both are good weapons.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are you committed to the semi-auto? Unless you have experience, I suggest you consider a good revolver. The revolver is easier to learn, and depending on what you want, revolvers offer a somewhat wider range of caliber options depending on the size and power you are after in a handgun.

My experience as a handgun instructor for over 20 years is that most women prefer a revolver, and so do inexperienced men. Especially if they get the chance to shoot them side by side.

Regardless of your experience, or that of your wife and daughter, a good revolver is always a good choice. Capacity of the handgun is not always a good reason to buy a gun. Buying the one you shoot the best is a better reason to buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.