Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting an AirLite scandium or titanium J frame .357. What Smith models do I need to avoid due to problems? I have heard that some lock up with bullets that are too light and some have forcing cone issues. I am thinking of a a 340PD or something similar. Thanks for your replies. :wink:

·
Registered
147 Posts
If it was me...I'd avoid the light frame .357 mags completely and get an old 2 1/2" Model 19. A light J frame gun is very uncomfortable to shoot at all, and very difficult to shoot accurately in a followup shot. IMO, it is too much cartridge for the light weight. Again, this is my opinion only - for all I know you have been shooting .357 mags for many years and would have no problem shooting an airweight.
I personally don't like to shoot a .357 through anything less than a 4" barrel all steel gun.
The problems you mentioned have more to do with reloads with too little crimp than with any model J frame.
The 340PD is excellent, if you want one. I have not heard about any mechanical problems with any of the newer( post early '60's) J frames.
If you can borrow one for a day at the range, I'd recommend that before you buy one.

mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
I`m with dogngun.
Do you have any other .357`s?
I have a S&W 442 which weighs in at 15 oz.
Plus P`s are "Just Right" with that gun.
The model you mention is 12 oz.
In my opinion also, too light for .357. -------Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.