PistolWorld.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off hope this site is as informitive and fun as SGW. I just recently purchased my 1st pistol. A Ruger MKIII 22/45 5 1/2" bull barrel. I bought a dueling tree for the .22lr and just got to shoot it today. Range I go to needs to approve any metal targets. I had shot about4-500 rounds at paper 25 and 50 yds, most at 25, before the manager came by and approved the tree. I then set the tree out at 30 yds ( manufacture's safe shooting distance ) them 2" paddles got really small.Now to my question at 30 yds the front blade covers the paddle. I got them to swing maybe 15 times outta 300. I moved them ,1/2 swing, matbe 40 times. Is there any sights or ways to improve the open sights to make it better at that yardage, or do I just need to practice ( at 25yds I get hand size groups of 10 ) or is my sight picture ( shotgun talk I've shot sporting clays last 5 years but am having to stop for awhile because of neck spinal problems) wrong. I see the blade centered in the notch and the tops of both even or level with eachother. The sights are adjustable should I invest in a bench rest and zero the sights in cause shooting free hand off the bench gives me I would say moderate repeatability. Usually low left and high right groupings. I'am a newbie so any input will be helpful.Am also considering coaching, had it for sporting a few times with good sucsess.
Thanks in advance for any input,
Tim

·
Registered
161 Posts
Practice, you gotta line up front sight center mass and it can be a drag. Assuming your gun is sighted in.

Also, if you have the money, you could try a red dot sight. I use a Holosight and the difference was remarkable. Helps with lateral movement and sight acquisition and the sight picture is much finer. But buyer beware because some are really shitty. I buy quality gear for myself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You local range should have a Ransom rest you can use. They may even have the inserts for your pistol. If not you can purchase the inserts at brownells.com. It will zero in your pistol without human error.

·
Registered
606 Posts
El Padrino said:
You local range should have a Ransom rest you can use. They may even have the inserts for your pistol. If not you can purchase the inserts at brownells.com. It will zero in your pistol without human error.
True, but shooting a handgun from a Ransom Rest will only tell you the accuracy capability of the gun/load combination. The recoil speed and path of the handgun will be different when it's handheld than from the rest. Also, your grip and trigger squeeze will affect POI.

Shoot paper targets at the range you're trying to hit the metal targets, and adjust the sights to bring POI to the bull. Shoot 3-shot (big bore) or 5-shot (small bore) groups to adjust the sights. Then, you always use the same sight picture.

The key to handgun accuracy is to pay attention to the small details - grip, stance, sight picture, trigger squeeze, finger position on the trigger....... ALWAYS the same. Then, a few thousand rounds later, you start to be a half-decent handgunner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish I could use metal targets at my local range. I'm realy tired of using paper, even the shoot "n'" sees are getting dull.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I just bought a like-new Ruger Mk II a few days ago and went to the indoor range. It was extremely accurate and great fun. I ran the paper target out to 50 yards and out of 20 shots only landed 7 on the paper. None even close to the center but on the paper. If your Ruger is made as well as mine, and I'm sure it is, then you just need a little practice. I know I do.

I recently learned that .22 ammunition is extremely finnicky about accuracy in different guns. Try a different brand. I like CCI and Federal American Eagle myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the responses. I think its just me. Going to try to adjust POI Sunday if weather is good. I'll leave the tree at home, although my shooting buddy is coming with me with a new buckmark. Let him be humbled by it LOL!! At 25 yds I can get 5" grouping 50 yds 7/10 in the 5 ring or better all 10 on the papper. I shoot shotguns left handed ( eye domince thing ) I started left handed with the pistol but right handed feels better and produced better groups. Do have an issue with right trigger finger it's a little short from a lost battle with a table saw. Have tried shooting with it up alongside the barrel ( pointing like with the shotgun) but take up of trigger creep hasn't got the same feel as with the nub. Got 1k rounds left on hand probably blast them up Sunday.BTW I'm shooting federal lightning ammo currently.Have shot the remington bulk box HP's about the same results.With only 1500 rounds through the gun ( 300 or so was my son ) I still need alot more range time.
Happy and safe shooting,
Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts