Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get back into competitive shooting, having been shot in college 20+ years ago, so I need opinions on best pistols currently on the market. My 16 yo daughter will be taking up the sport with me. (I'm also a female)

This purchase is purely a sport pistol. I am used to metal sights, but the president of our local shooting club pushing the red-dot sight and am unclear if this is allowed in most competitions.

·
Registered
606 Posts
"Target shooting" covers a lot of ground..... for punching paper, the Ruger Mark II Target (or Mark III Target) is the most bang for the buck, but the sky is the limit - you can drop more than $2,000 on an olympic class pistol. In most bullseye competition, red dots and/or optical sights of any kind are not allowed.

For IPSC, or IDPA, it's wide open.... for any of the other centerfire "race gun" games, the 1911 usually dominates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. The Ruger was recommended. I didn't know if there is a pistol that women tend to prefer over men for weight or balance issues. I am looking for something decent to start out with to see if I still have the same accuracy as I did 25 years ago. If so, I know I will end up spending more if I more to higher level competitions.

My family has been encouraging me to return to competition and since my daughter is now interested, now seems to be a good time.

I am in northern NJ. Anyone out there that can recommend a league or group to join? (already have application in for permit, etc., so I am 60-90 days away from my purchase)

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have an affinity to S&W 41s and High Standard 106 series pistols but the Ruger is a very popular and competitive pistol. My preference in Rugers is for the 22/45 frame as I prefer that angle of grip but the slanted one is also pretty common. The entry cost for the Ruger is pretty low and there are so many upgrades available that by the time one gets enough upgrades to get their Ruger into the 41 or 106 price range, they will probably have a more competitive pistol. That pains me to say but it seems to be pretty close to a fact.
Another possibility is the Browning Buckmark. It is also fairly accurate and there are some aftermarket parts available though not to the extent of the Ruger. My wife seems to like the Browning a bit more than the S&W or HS but that may be due to its thinner and narrower grips as I haven't changed them. I bought the 5.5 Target as I wanted to mount a scope on it and that model had Weaver bases incorporated into the top rib. I think the Buckmark is on a par with the Ruger as far as accuracy in factory form but I don't think it can keep up in the long run due to a lack of aftermarket support. I could be wrong on that as I am not a serious competitive handgun shooter and there may be someone who can set up a buxkmark to run with the big dogs. If there is, I am not aware of it though I am not a serious competitive handgun shooter, just someone who likes to shoot them too much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
For serious rimfire target shooting it's pretty hard to beat the Smith & Wesson Model 41. After you shoot one everything else just doesn't compare. The quality in these guns is still very much on the high end. The entire weapon is constructed of steel, and the trigger and action feel as if they are on ball bearings. Bill T.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've fired a Ruger mk II many times. Depending on what barrel you opt for, its a wonderful weapon, and a pleasure to shoot.

That being said, my friend has a S&W model 41 with a nice red dot on it and it is also a pleasure to shoot.

The walther P22 is a nice little gun too, but I've heard of some jamming issues.

The one that I know very little about, is the Sig Trailside. I BELIEVE it is a relatively new gun, but I am not sure, and have not heard much about it. Maybe worth looking into?

·
Registered
50 Posts
S&W Mdl. 41 is top of the line especially if you are talking about NRA Bullseye type competition.

If you are talking about international type shooting, then you might want to consider the Hammerlee guns (sp) if they are still being made.

If you are talking less formal competition then the Ruger will serve you well, and may be the equal to the S&W at much less cost.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I agree with Uglydog and billt in the pick of the lower priced but excellent auto rimfires.
I had the 6" 41 and the mod 52 a;ong with a customized mod 70 Colt for the three gun matches or the 2700 whatever they are now called.
I also use red dot on all three for every entry and never had a problem with being allowed to shoot.
If you have a choice and can afford it the 41 is certainly the way to go and as UD said by the time you get the MK11 or the 45/22 and put the upgrades to make it ready for top notch competition you will have as much as you will in the original 41.

I never used the Buckmark and for that matter, I never competed against anyone using that gun. I know they are excellent firearms and there are a lot of them around but for some reason they are not widely used in bullseye competitions.

If you want to get an idea of some of the excellent and varied after market products that bolt right on the Ruger pistols see if you can find the web site for Volquartzen My spelling may be way off but some of the guys here may have it correct for us. They make some incredible stuff for these guns and they allow you to put on some wonderful, accurizing things to get started.

Hope this helps a little.

UF

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my 60+ years I've bought and sold my share of rifles, pistols and shotguns. The only one I truely regret selling is my S&W Model 41. A tack driving sweet heart far more capable than me. :cry: Ric

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sport Shooting!
My favorite in iron sights shooting is a Ruger MK2 5.5" bull barrel. I also like a S&W 617 in 6" for a revolver. Now these are not break the bank shooters, they do compete very well against the cowboy boots on carpet crowd. My daughter has expressed a interest in going to our local range to shoot, this has caught her mothers attention to try the same. After all these years!!!
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two S&W Model 41s, two Ruger Mark IIs, a Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos, S&W 422, S&W 622 VR and a Colt Woodsman. I rank them as follows:

S&W Model 41 The 41s are very picky about what they eat but oh how nice they are to shoot. I have to avoid the bulk ammo with these pistols.

Colt Woodsman The Woodsman is a pretty beat up 1st Series and the trigger is about 2 1/4 pound, probably from wear but it shoots very nice and is reliable for an old gun (1927).

Ruger Mark II Target Models. One was accurized by Clark, the other by a local gunsmith. They both shoot great. They are extremely accurate and will eat anything I feed them. They are 100% reliable and I am convinced that the Mark series pistols are the best bang for the buck in a .22.

S&W 622 and 422 The 422 and 622 are nice shooters although I just bought the 622 VR and have only had it to the range twice. They are very light weight and I like that they use the same magazines as my 41s. I bought the 422 for my wife who complained about the weight of the other pistols. I sometimes shoot the 422 when I get tired of holding up the heavier pistols.

Neos Can't really say anything bad about the Neos. I use it when I take somebody shooting the first time. Trigger is not bad for factory and this pistol is super easy to strip. I paid $199 for it NIB from Gander Mountain. I bought the Neos because it had a scope rail and I wanted to play with some optics.

Browning Buckmark is a distant last. The Browning Buckmark does not shoot all that well and has an issue with the safety. It will sometimes fire when the safety is taken off with no finger in the vicinity of the trigger. I sent it back to Browning and they sent it back improved but still capable of unintentional fire. I could send it back again but I'd never trust the safety on it and they were not interested in replacing the pistol.

One .22 I'd love to shoot but have not had the opportunity, is the Sig Trailside. I have heard great things about it. They are fairly hard to locate as I believe they have been out of production for about three years now.

I have heard stories of feed problems with the present run of S&W lower priced .22 pistols and the Walther P22 but have no personal experience..

With all that said, I like my 1911 better than all the above and I sleep with a Ruger Security Six.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.