Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a new .22 for target shooting, plinking around, practice, etc. Wanted to see what you guys would recommend. My dad has a Ruger that I have used and I really like, but want to see what other guns you guys would recommend.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Auto loader or wheelgun?

In either case, a Ruger is the most bang for the buck.

If you're looking for an autoloader, find a Ruger Mark II.... stay away from the mark III. If you're serious about punching paper, get the target model.

If you want a wheelgun, get a Single Six (fixed sights) or a Super Single Six (adjustable sights). Also available as a "convertible" with a .22 Mag cylinder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: re: What .22 to get?

wwb said:
Auto loader or wheelgun?

In either case, a Ruger is the most bang for the buck.

If you're looking for an autoloader, find a Ruger Mark II.... stay away from the mark III. If you're serious about punching paper, get the target model.

If you want a wheelgun, get a Single Six (fixed sights) or a Super Single Six (adjustable sights). Also available as a "convertible" with a .22 Mag cylinder.
I am looking for an auto loader. Why do you suggest the Mark II rather than the Mark III?

·
Registered
606 Posts

rjf32 said:
I am looking for an auto loader. Why do you suggest the Mark II rather than the Mark III?
The Mark III is a "lawyerized" Mark II.

It offers absolutely no improvement in function, and is substantially more difficult to disassemble / reassemble. If reassembled incorrectly and with enough "force it, it'll go", it will be time for a trip back to Ruger for repair.

If you can find a NIB Mark II, it will likely cost about $50 more than a new Mark III.... that ought to tell you something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

wwb said:
rjf32 said:
The Mark III is a "lawyerized" Mark II.

It offers absolutely no improvement in function, and is substantially more difficult to disassemble / reassemble. If reassembled incorrectly and with enough "force it, it'll go", it will be time for a trip back to Ruger for repair.

If you can find a NIB Mark II, it will likely cost about $50 more than a new Mark III.... that ought to tell you something.
Does Ruger still make the Mark II?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned (when they were $99) and shot the Rugers before also For the money they are hard to beat but if I had my druthers I'd get another High Standard.
I had the Victor (back when, $175) and it is the only gun I ever regretted selling.

Blacky

G

·
I've got buckmark target, SW22a and Kimber target. Absolutely the best .22 auto is the Kimber but you'll pay the same for the .22 as you would for the .45.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a long way from the most experienced... but I have recently ended up with a ruger MK III, and can agree that it is a bit cumbersome to break down... but if you follow the steps in the manual... it is not all that bad. It is a great shooting gun, and I like it. Would I buy another one??... yep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned a Mark III Competition SS model for a few weeks now. I've put a little over 700 rounds through. Absolutely love it. It is stiff to take down and reassemble, but from what I read, that should ease up with time. In the meantime, I couldn't be happier with the thing. It feels great in my hand and shoots straighter than I do. I'd buy it again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Another vote for the S&W 617. My K-22 Masterpiece is incredible. I have a Ruger MK-II with a 4" bull barrel. Neat little shooter and almost as accurate as the Smith. But the Smith's trigger is way better and makes it easier to shoot well. Keep your eyes on the sales fliers. Browning Buckmarks and S&W 22As are on sale somewhere all the time. Both are good, accurate pistols. The Sig Trailside sounds good, but I have never fired one. Sig's and Hammerli's reputations are both very good.

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 on SIG Trailside, if you can find one (out of production). Extrordinarily accurate, very easy to fire. Match-grade trigger on a $400 plinker. *Very* simple takedown. Nice target sights. Great grips that fit just about any hand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.