Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a hunter for all my life. I have double barrel shotguns and Weatherby rifles. But I have never bought a pistol. With the bull shit that our president has layed out my wife said we need to get a pistol before we cant. my question is what do I get. My wife is not a small woman but I dont want to over gun her. I think the best choice would be a 357/38 of course this would be a revolver. another question is how much recoil with a 10mm is more than a 9mm or a 40s$w. If it was just me I would get a 1911 of some maker probably Kimber which I have a 30-06 that shoots 1/2" groups. The gun would be mostly used for fore defense but might be used for CC. What do you think of the 22 auto mag as a self defense weapon, I have always loved them. By the way send a e-mail to your representatives and tell then to vote against the bills against out 2nd amendment rights.

·
Registered
231 Posts
wrigjl20,

Welcome to the forum.

My choice is a revolver in .357/.38.

I have many handguns and I carry different ones. My primary is a 1911 and it carries great. I sometimes use a Walther in .32 ACP and occasionally a S&W .357/.38. My home defense gun is a S&W Model 640 in .357 Magnum - backed up with a 12 gauge Model 870!

However, for an all around handgun for the home you cannot beat a revolver in .357/.38........low recoil in .38 for practice and plinking and fun shooting; fairly inexpensive - comparatively; availability of ammunition in any store that sells ammo; magnum rounds for home defense; no slides or safeties to mess with in times of stress.........just my vote.

Enjoy the search!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a 10mm Glock 20. The recoil isn't that bad but its a big gun with a really big grip. Think like holding a 2x4. Ammo isn't readily available, especially right now and most of the commercial stuff is barely hotter than the .40 S&W. You have to look at stuff from Double Tap to get the true performance from the 10mm and it is currently all sold out due to the massive run on guns, ammo and magazines. I would personally look at a 9mm like a Glock 17 or 19, Springfield XD9 or similar pistols. With modern ammo, the 9mm is adequate and you are more likely to be able to get your hands on ammo than many other calibers. A good .357 revolver is always a good bet, though. Something like a Ruger GP100 with a 4.20" barrel would also be a good choice. Strong as a tank with enough heft to mitigate recoil. Stay away from the lightweight .357s. My S&W M&P 340 is best described as a torture device for the shooter. Of course, a quality 1911 pattern pistol is never a bad idea. I have a Kimber Compact Stainless II. It shoots well. If your wife is saying to buy a handgun, heed her advice now before she changes her mind. That doesn't happen often.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts