Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a SA, bird-head gripped .45 that will safely fire the .45+P

I was considering the Uberti cattleman in .45 colt, can this gun handle BB .45 +P?

What other SA .45's are out there that can handle this round and are available in a bird-head grip. I think the Vaquero might fit the bill as well. My dealer also had a pair of US firearms bird-head SAs in .45. A bit pricier, but smooth well built feeling guns.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The BB .45 Colt ammo should only be shot in Ruger, Colt Anaconda, and Freedom Arms pistols. It can also be shot in Winchester and Marlin 1894 rifles. Honestly, if you intend to shoot that much heavy ammo, you might ought to look into getting a .454 Casull pistol, as the BB ammo isn't cheap.

SS

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was looking for something that I could plink with cheaper loads, but load heavy for hunting or black bear defense. .45 cowboy loads for plinking and the heavy BB loads for all else seemed a good fit.

I already shoot .357/.38 and had originally looked for a nice SA .357 in a bird-head grip......but the energy delivered by some of those BB loads have me rethinking how I feel about the .45 colt.

Sounds like Ruger is the way to go.

What about US firearms? Some folks I talk to claim they are built better than Colt.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The US Firearms guns are "better" guns than Colt but they are not any stronger. That "better" is in the area of fit and finish, not strength, and the USFA gusn suffer from the same "weak" design as Colt.
As a warning, one must be careful regarding Ruger firearms too as the New Model Vaquero pistols are on a smaller frame that is not as strong as the Old Models. The New Model Vaqueros have the same ammunition limitations as the Colt and its clone guns.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The first time you touch off one of those BB loads in a revolver with a birds head grip, be sure to be wearing gloves! A friend tried some in his BlackHawk, with bird grips, and promptly put them in a dark corner of his ammo box. This same guys "plinking" load is a 270WFN at around 1000fps.

Ruger or Freedom Arms is the way to go if you insist on shooting MAX loads from a 45LC. Standard 45LC loads from any of the others will kill a deer if ya keep your shooting in close.

HWD

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess I'm a brute for punishment, as I swore that I wouldn't post on another 45 Colt thread......Well Here it goes.

You want a 45 Colt with a bird's head grip that can fire +P ammo. You need to look for the old Vaquero Ruger not the Ruger New Vaquero.

The old Vaquero is the full size Blackhawk frame and will take +P loads.

If you want a Colt copy (think cylinder size) the New Vaquero, Uberti, Beretta etc the +P ammo should be avoided.

Next item is: Do you handload? If so, you can load ammo with safe pressures in your Colt sized firearms that will perform nicely for your "hunting/defensive loads" Loading data is available for this process that is safe in Colt sized firearms. Properly selected powders and bullet combinations will achieve up to 1000 fps with a 250 grain bullet.

If we go down the road of "defensive game load" against bears and such, you must remember that no amount of power will make up for shooting around the edges. Controllable rounds that are easily applied with repeat percision will be more effective in saving your skin and stopping mad uglies than "magnums" shot into tails, toes or plain Air.

Thanks

Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts