Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a pistol for 5 or 6 hundred dollars. What is the best pistol in this price range? I am not sure what callibar I would like, but one of the bigger ones. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
606 Posts
First - what do you intend to do with it...

small game hunting?
big game hunting?
concealed carry?
nightstand gun?
bullseye competition?
IPSC or IDPA competition?
General plinking / casual target shooting?

What constitutes the "best" handgun for one of the above will vary from "okay" to "totally unsuitable" for the other applications.

The "best" handgun in any price range for any of the above uses would be subject to any number of opinions.... most of them valid for one reason or another, although sometimes purely subjective.

·
Registered
606 Posts
"Casual plinking".... a Ruger Mark II.... about $225 used

"Target Shooting".... a Ruger Mark II Target.... about $300 used, then add a Volquartsen Hammer, Sear, & Trigger... about another $100.

"Target Shooting".... a target 1911 from Springfield, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, or Les Baer..... $1100 - $1500 new (although you can get really carried away and plunk down about 2 grand for one)

"Hunting"..... Rabbits, squirrels & assorted other small critters.... a Ruger Mark II.... about $225 used

"Hunting".... whitetail deer, hogs & other critters of similar size.... a .44 Mag -- Ruger Single Action or Double Action, or a S&W Double Action..... a little under $500 for the Single Action, a little over $600 for either of the double actions (new).

There really is no such thing as a "one size fits all" handgun.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: re: What is the best pistol for $500-$600?

stumpy041486 said:
......Are most pistols pretty reliable or are some more prone to problems than others?
You can't go wrong with a name-brand pistol, whether autoloader or revolver. My recommendation would be to buy something from Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, or Glock for reliability. Edited to add..... Beretta and SIG are also fine pistols.

As has been stated on this forum many times, though..... try before you buy. Even though a particular pistol may be very reliable, you may find that you just can't warm up to it. As an example, many folks like the Ruger P-series pistols, and I'll readily admit that they're well made and function just fine, but I just don't like them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.