Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am new to this forum and I need some help,
I would like to buy a 1911 and don’t know what to buy, can you narrow down like 3 or 4 best guns for home defense and range shooting. In California we can’t carry a gun to much law.
I need opinions on .45 and 9mm but I am leaning toward 9mm its cheaper then .45.
What do you think about this :colt .38spec., Springfield, S&W,para, kimber.
Any pros and cons are welcome
Thanks to all.
Grof

·
Registered
122 Posts
FWIW: If you want to buy a 1911, then, IMHO, .45ACP is the best choice.
Colt, Kimber, and Springfield Armory offer a wide assortment of 1911 style pistols. Colt offers two calibers - .45 and 38 Super (not .38SPL). Kimber offers the widest choice of calibers. Springfield has them in 9mm, 45ACP, 38 Super.
You have a lot of choices. All of these brands are excellent.
Pete

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 1911 is a pretty specialized handgun. The options offered are numerous and the designs/manufactures are numerous too.

First of all . . . the 1911 is 45 ACP -- period. John Moses Browning designed the 1911 for 45 ACP and designed the 45 ACP for the 1911.

You can get them in 9mm, it it's sorta like buying a Japanese motorcycle that "looks like" a Harley Davidson. The 1911 is pretty much like buying a custom Harley. A Road King is NOT the first bike you want to own.

Before you spend serious scratch on a 1911, take the time to learn what you're looking at. When you understand what you're looking at, you'll know which 1911 you want and why.

In the meantime, get yourself a nice 9mm, or 45 ACP if you want one. There are a lot of options out there. And you don't want to get into a 1911 until you know the what and why of the purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
try it before you buy it. Go to range and shoot what they have. Then your wallet will be your guide...not really. But explore all the "toys, bells and whistles" that you can get with a 1911. I'd suggest staying away from the micro 1911's I had an old kimber ultra carry II and had problems with them.
What ever you buy remember 1911's need breaking in, more then some guns. So I include the cost of 500 rounds (400 fmj and 100 jhp) in my mental "gun budget". Then if the 100 jhp feed 100% I buy more rounds for my gun. I shoot 200 rounds then clean gun, then 300 rounds with jhp being the last. I figure if it works after that it's as dependable as any gun can be.
Ton's of articles to read on them, tons of ways to break her in. Just my modest .02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.