Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
A derringer is a poor choice for a carry pistol. The shape and size do not lend themselves well to a caliber with real stopping power..... the recoil is, for most folks, unmanageable. That cuts you down to a .32 at most.... and not a .32 Mag, either. Top it off with a 2-shot capacity, and it's a marginal carry weapon at best. Better than nothing, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bond Derringer is nicer I think than American Derringer. It's built like a stone commode.

They feature a swap out barrel. You can buy extra barrels in all sorts of calibers and lengths. The "Snake Charmer" is the feature caliber, with a longer barrel. It's 45 Colt/410 bore shotgun.

You can get it in 44 magnum -- and a lot of other calibers.

The down side is that the gun is as large and heavy as a compact 1911. List price is about $575 last time I looked. That sort of money will get you into a Springfield XD.

The Taurus Judge, which is a revolver, 5 or 6 shot (I forget), and 45 Colt / 410 bore shotgun. The Taurus sells for about $450.

I want a Bond Derringer, but there are better options for less money.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bond is strongly overbuilt kinda like Rugers. Fine gun, but I just ain't figgered out a use for one. Ya better have a pretty strong thumb, too. Ever tried to cock one of 'em? Wow. It almost takes both hands.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re: re: What was and Is ?

Smoke 'Em said:
Bond Derringer is nicer I think than American Derringer. It's built like a stone commode.

They feature a swap out barrel. You can buy extra barrels in all sorts of calibers and lengths. The "Snake Charmer" is the feature caliber, with a longer barrel. It's 45 Colt/410 bore shotgun.

You can get it in 44 magnum -- and a lot of other calibers.

The down side is that the gun is as large and heavy as a compact 1911. List price is about $575 last time I looked. That sort of money will get you into a Springfield XD.

The Taurus Judge, which is a revolver, 5 or 6 shot (I forget), and 45 Colt / 410 bore shotgun. The Taurus sells for about $450.

I want a Bond Derringer, but there are better options for less money.
I have a Taurus JUDGE, and it's a fantastic car console gun. I tried to CCW it, and it's too big and too heavy. It's a lot of fun to shoot!

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you really want to get a derringer, I'd suggest an automatic cartridge, simply because they are shorter. This gives your bullet a little extra barrel to work with than the longer revolver cartridges, and it may be a bit more accurate. The .40 may be a good one. More power than the 9mm, yet not as much boom as a .45ACP.

I think the American Derringer is more compact and easier to carry. Sure the Bond is bigger and stronger, but I hardly think anyone is going to put a thousand rounds a year through a derringer. Not unless you're using it for some CAS event, and even then that's seems like a lot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I honestly can't imagine why ANYONE would want a Derringer for self defense and/or carry... boy, you talk about the least accurate, only a couple of shots, and almost no knock down capability. You'd be better off with a good knife...

The smallest pocket carry I would seriously consider would be a Kel Tec P3AT or a Ruger LCP. At least these are 6+1 rounds of .380 ammo.

Still not the best choice by any means, but better than a Derringer... for sure.

IF you just have to have a Derringer, Bond makes high-quality and High-powered Derringers.

·
Registered
147 Posts

Hoxviii said:
http://www.amderringer.com/catalog1.html

I have the one on top, the .45 colt/.410. it conceals really well and is good for pocket carry, but you do have to hold onto it pretty tight.

Justin
I have been a Deringer fan in the past, and have owned several in .22lr, 22magnum, .38spl, and .45Colt/.410 . I have ownd cheap ones and expensive ones. I found the .45Colt/.410 to be almost useless, and a complete waste of money. It is too small to stabilize the Colt round and the .410 is too puny out of the short barrel to do any damage to anyone.

If I were to buy a deringer again, it would be a short barrel .22 magnum, a very small one that would fit in a tee shirt pocket, and I'd only buy it if it were very cheap and in perfect shape.

If you want to carry a small gun, the smallest I recommend is a medium size .32 AC/.380 auto or a .38 Spl S&W J-frame revolver. (I carry either a .32 FEG or a .38 Sp Chief Special as my MINIMUM carry gun. My main is one of several .45 ACP's.)
Small .22 micro revolvers and most derringers are toys and I'd hate to have one as a gun if things got serious. I'd rather carry a reliable .25 auto ( and I occasionally do as a backup.)

I have spent over $1000 on various Deringers over the years just to see what they were capable of, and I reached the conclustion they are not capable of very much at all.
Profit by my bad experience.
Spend your money on a usable gun.

mark

·
Registered
47 Posts

dogngun said:
Hoxviii said:
http://www.amderringer.com/catalog1.html

I have the one on top, the .45 colt/.410. it conceals really well and is good for pocket carry, but you do have to hold onto it pretty tight.

Justin
I have been a Deringer fan in the past, and have owned several in .22lr, 22magnum, .38spl, and .45Colt/.410 . I have ownd cheap ones and expensive ones. I found the .45Colt/.410 to be almost useless, and a complete waste of money. It is too small to stabilize the Colt round and the .410 is too puny out of the short barrel to do any damage to anyone.

If I were to buy a deringer again, it would be a short barrel .22 magnum, a very small one that would fit in a tee shirt pocket, and I'd only buy it if it were very cheap and in perfect shape.

If you want to carry a small gun, the smallest I recommend is a medium size .32 AC/.380 auto or a .38 Spl S&W J-frame revolver. (I carry either a .32 FEG or a .38 Sp Chief Special as my MINIMUM carry gun. My main is one of several .45 ACP's.)
Small .22 micro revolvers and most derringers are toys and I'd hate to have one as a gun if things got serious. I'd rather carry a reliable .25 auto ( and I occasionally do as a backup.)

I have spent over $1000 on various Deringers over the years just to see what they were capable of, and I reached the conclustion they are not capable of very much at all.
Profit by my bad experience.
Spend your money on a usable gun.

mark
No argument here about Derringers... They are Pointless, Useless, dangerous, and a complete waist of money. There are so many high quality pocket-sized autoloaders available, there is absolutely NO reason to even consider a Derringer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My car "conseal" is a Colt King Cobra.
The reason for this is, revolvers are super dependable, and of course the .357 Magnum has a serious knock-down attitude.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Mark F said:
I honestly can't imagine why ANYONE would want a Derringer for self defense and/or carry... boy, you talk about the least accurate, only a couple of shots, and almost no knock down capability. You'd be better off with a good knife...

The smallest pocket carry I would seriously consider would be a Kel Tec P3AT or a Ruger LCP. At least these are 6+1 rounds of .380 ammo.

Still not the best choice by any means, but better than a Derringer... for sure.

IF you just have to have a Derringer, Bond makes high-quality and High-powered Derringers.

It a good set dude,,, really cool.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts