Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the $600.00 price range what is the most accurate and reliable 9mm,lets try and be unbiased here,if you only have owned one pistol and never shot anything else you certainly don't qualify,from the input of others it seems that the CZ PO1 ranks as one of the top contenders how do others feel about this?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Both the Glock 17 and Sig 226 fit the category of accurate and reliable.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Glock 17L gets my vote.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My old CZ-75 was quite accurate, one of the more accurate service pistols I've owned. The HS/2000 that preceded the XD was also rather accurate as was an XD Tactical model I had the opportunity to shoot. I recently shot a SIG 220 in 9mm which was also a very good shooter.
I have seen others shoot various S&Ws in 9mm quite well but I was not able to shoot my old M-59 as well as I would have liked. Some can shoot Glocks very well but that brand is one that does not like me.
In the $600 price range I feel you are going to get fairly comparable accuracy between most brands with the main difference being in how the gun "fits" your hand and reliability. As I alluded to above, the Glock is not an "accurate" firearm in my hands though it is very much so in the hands of others.
If I were looking at this as being a competition gun, I would begin my search by looking at a frame that allows for easy modifications and enhancements. The most accurate stock handgun would not be a good choice for this field if their were no ways to improve it. For a defensive gun, I would look for reliability first as most decent handguns have acceptable accuracy for this purpose.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Giving my "22 cal" vote, I have a Ruger P93 that we frequently shoot at the range and put 300 rounds though it in a day at the range with out a jam or misfire. When I shoot this pistol I can put all 15 rounds in a 3" target at 10 yards. It's not a sniper rifle but a good up close (if you consider 30 feet up close) pistol.

My 22 cents

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: re: Whats the most accurate,reliable 9mm

cATfISH said:
I HAVE A BERSA THUNDER 9 HIGH CAPACITY HAVE SHOT 1000 ROUNDS NO JAMS OR MIS FIRES 2 INCH GROUP AT 25 YDS
That's impressive 2 inch at 25 yards (75 feet) and a full clip group. I'll have to check out that pistol! The 300 rounds I mentioned was one range trip, I couldn't tell you how many rounds we put through the Ruger P93 but expect it is well over 4500 and 3 inch at 30 feet works well for me. No jams or mis fires that I recall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally I would choose a Glock 17, 19 or 26. I own all three and they are dependable and accurate. They were all purchased for a good deal less than $600.

I also own a Beretta 92 that is a good gun but it was purchased long ago, so I don't know the current price.

I have very little experience with anything else except the Sig 226 which I owned for a time before I switched to Glocks. It too was reliable and accurate, but the LE department I worked for decided on Glocks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I own an early version Berreta 92S. It was my first pistol and it cost me around $250.00 around 1988 or there abouts. I have since put thousands of rds thru it and it know has a stainless match barrel in it.
The after market barrel did make it more accurate then before.In the past i had the opertunity to work at an indoor range and was able to shoot other 9s.
I never considered the 9mm as a tack driver right out of the box. The subsonic velocity of this round seems to work against it.
The benifiets of more firepower is the allure of these pistols i think. However thier are shooters who adapt well to them. I have better results with my .45s personally.

Getting back to the point of this thread, I had the opertunity to shoot a few 9s and my results are as follows.
Glock, in 9mm i do not shoot as well. I seem to do alot better with thier .40. So i own a G22 full size, i like this pistol alot.
Sigs- i found them to be decent shooters, as well as the CZs.

Keltecs, i have no luck with any of them in accuracy, but i do like thier hideout factor. S&W 9s were pretty accurate, as earlier stated i think alot has to do with the ergnomics of the gun to ones hand.

The 2 9s that i had the opertunity to shoot well was a Browning Hi-Power and a German Luger. Of course these are hard finds and can get pricey.

I use to get lucky, when guns will come to the shop on consignment for sale and the owner will want to convince me as to thier resale value. Which often lead to a trip to one of the points on the range, with not to much coaxing being done on my part. Was usaually a last parting shooting for the owner.

Or when the ups guy droped off a customers gun, that was bought from somewhere else on a transfer. First thing i will do is call the owner, and more times than not they will drop what they were doing and come by to pick up their new toy.

Which usaully follwed suit with a box of ammo, and a trip to a point on the range. That was one of the best parts of that job, now thinking about it. Some nice eye candy if you know what i mean.
Any way, thats my story and i am sticking to it.
Take care , Jack

·
Registered
7 Posts
sometimes you can get a gun and it be really nice specific to the gun, even though the brand is not nec a top end brand. i shot a European arms "Witness" 9mm and it was a great gun. accurate and no problems. BUT i bought the same gun in the .45 cal and it was a terrible shooting gun. it would hang seems like once every 7 rounds or so regardless of ammo brand

·
Registered
11 Posts
Over 35 years of shooting, I have owned them all. You can never go wrong with a Sig or a Glock, but my alltime favorite is the CZ-75. I have owned 7 over the years and I own 3 now. They all shoot tight groups that are always centered and I have never had a jam from any of them.
The famous gun writer, Jeff Cooper said that the 9m/m was the most overrated round ever invented, but he also said that the CZ-75 was the finest semi-automatic pistol ever made. If you ever read Jeff Cooper, you know that is very high praise.
If I could only have one gun, it would be the 1911, because I believe in big, slow moving bullets. If I had to have a 9m/m, it would be a CZ-75

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the Glock 19, the Sig 226, the Ruger P95, and the Hi-Power by Browning. And I have an older Beretta 92 that's highly polished, and it has the magazine release at the bottom of the wood grip on the left side...it's about as reliable as a handgun can get. I have personal experience with all of these, and I would trust 'your' life on any of them. :lol: The Ruger P95 is, in my opinion, an underrated handgun. It's accurate, reliable, well-made, and it's got an attractive price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I could only have one 9mm Luger from all the pistol out there that chamber that round, it would have to be the Browning High Power. Extremely accurate, reliable, and simplistic, the ergonomics of it design makes it a natural part of your hand.

I've owned 5 (4/9mm & 1/40SW) over the years, and I just can't find anything that compares to them. The only reason I don't use the one that I now got for conceal carry is that my Kahr TP9 is more concealible and way lighter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts