Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and gals;

I have been coggitating whether to post this or not. But in the end and only because I am not talking to the whole world, just a few very dedicated people some of whom I would very much like to think have vicariously become friends.
Normally I order all new retail stock for my indoor range on Monday mornings to fill for items sold over the weekend.

First let me say that I have been in the retail busines(guns) since 1978, so I have been around for a couple of days and over this time I have seen several trends (for the lack of a better term) come and go. Usually when the govt gets involved there are some very strong reactions. Any of you over 40 know exactly what I refer too.

In the past two years I have noticed gun sales as well as ammo, cleaning supplies and classes have been filling or selling at a rate I have not seen at all since the mid 90s and prior to the Brady fiasco.
In particular, guns or at least the top of the line guns have been going out of my store at an unbelievable rate. (I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS LEVEL OF GUN SALES, PERIOD)
Well, this Monday less than 1/2 of my order was filled (of top of the line handguns and some of the rifles).
I received no G19s, 17s 23s and no XDs period and very few of the Ruger autos.
I then called other dealers and found they are in exactly the same boat except they have not sold as many so their supply is not as critical as mine at this time. I am normally 6 guns deep in these models, at the very least and many days going into the weekend I will be 10 deep. I currently have one G19 and today sold out of all the others and then some.
Also, every one of the dealers said they also noticed gun sales in their businesses at all time highs, (not panic, just more sales than usual every day)

Naturally my next call is to all of my major distributors and from them down to distributors that I normally never use (I need guns desperatly). The story is quite simple, there are no more of these specific models and makes on the shelf. It makes no difference that I am a huge producer for them, they have no guns to ship.

Two of the largest distr. in the country told me today that they are in touch with the Manufacturers and no one knows yet how they are going to deal with this situation. Glock and SA have said they are considering raising their production numbers. But in the same breath, they also are worried that if they do so, and then a real situation occurs such as Obama or the wicked witch are elected they could be stuck with their inventories.

Please understand, I am not crying wolf or chicken little. I am merely providing info to good people with the caveate you may not want to put off too long any half way decent deal you may find on a gun if you have been waiting and saving for one in particular. One, they may not be there and two, they will most certainly go way up in price if they become available.
Just beware and forewarned and do what you need to do accordingly and with some foreknowledge of a growing concern. I am new to computers so I do not know all the jargon but I am told I will probably be "flamed or blazed' off the forum for this. I sincerely hope not whatever it is it does not sound fun, but time will tell and if this info helps one of you then start whatever kind of fire you want.

Folks, it may never get too bad, but it is already at the very least difficult and to listen to these major distributors with whom I have dealt for the past 30 plus years THEY are concerned at least today and for the immediate future primarily because as they told me there are no guns and no answers and the no answers is scaring them more right now than the no guns.

If any of you want or need more info I am willing to provide the specific models of guns that are right now in short supply through PM or email.
Also, some of you know me well enough to be absolutely certain I am not a crazy nor do I worry about the little things. So for what its worth if you believe for any reason you need or want to doubt my word on this, I will also provide numbers in $$$ as to how much this particular order did not fill. It is serious and I wish only to provide some insight before anything else happens or the word officially hits the streets.

I hope this is OK with all of you and that you all understand my dilemma in writing this at all.

Good luck and stay safe.

kenny

·
Registered
160 Posts
Interesting read .....

Personally - it takes me so long to scrape up the $$$ for a new gun I'm waiting until right AFTER the election to make my next purchase. I'm either going to go with some sort of AK or maybe another Glock or Springfield (but with a larger magazine). I may also get an O/U or some other field gun ....

What I get will be determined by who wins .... You can make your own assumptions about what I'll buy if McCain wins vs the other two. :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dear UncleFudd,

Thanks for the info. I think we have ALL noticed the availability of weapons and of AMMO out there. Holy cow, in the last year alone, ammo has sky-rocketed so high.
If either obama or cliton hehehe wins this :oops: , we will be buying our new guns from the Bad Guys... (Not Really) but you know what I mean...
My word of advice to everyone, is to buy what you can afford now, such as ammo, high cap mags, and any other firearm BEFORE the election.
All we can do is Vote and then Pray that Neither one of those two win!!!!! If they do, we are ALL in DEEP Poo....
Thanks for opening our eyes to the demand and availability or lack OF availability of weapons that you sell.
Keep up the good work.
Stay Safe.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys;
I was a little worried about posting that info but you guys have already set my mind at ease as it seems everyone has taken it as I meant it to be.

As I said, there is no panic buying at least for now, but some of the most popular guns are already gone and when they are made available it will surprise me if there is not a significant difference in the price you pay today vs. then.

I know what you mean about expenses as well. I too have to buy and spend just like everyone else and I have had to pay the gross and inflated prices especially where metals are concerned or for anything comming form China/Asia.
I paid $19.50 per bag for shot to load my shotguns for skeet shooting in Oct of 06 when I came home from the World Championships. In two weeks it had gone to $22.50 and now is at least $52.50 at Sportsmans Warehouse and $62.50 for the same bag at the new Cabellas in Mesa.

Fortunately, I had a feeling the prices were going up so I bought 40 bags at the low price and another 30 bags at the $22.50 so I have enough lead to last the rest of my life at the rate I load now.

Anyway I realize you guys already had an inkling of things to come so that is a good thing.
Getem if you needem and can findem, this is going to become a little squeaky for a while at least, until the manuf figure what they want to do to keep up with the current demand.

Good luck all and as He said stay safe.

UF

·
Registered
160 Posts
UF

Have you noticed any difficulty getting powder or primers? I stopped by Sportsman's a couple of nights ago and tried to get some STEE and some Red Dot or Unique - and guess what .... they were out of all three. :(

The shelf with the primers was about 3/4 empty - Especially 209 primers. Rifle and pistol seemed to be in good supply.

The guy at the counter said they expect a truck tomorrow, but if I want any powder to make sure I call in the morning and have them hold it :? :? He also indicated that their handgun inventory was really low as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As for the powder/primers...I've heard that most places get a massive shipment to last them six months, so at the end of that period they're fairly scanty. Even heavy hitters like Midway run like this. Kind of annoying when it coincides with your next bulk component order. Small pistol primers always seem to go first, followed by large pistol. If you have a magnum large rifle, you should be good until doomsday.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Primers, powder and munitions grade lead are all subject to the pressures brought on by supplying the warring parties in the middle east plus the countless other little wars around the world, Sudan, Afghanistan, et al. When they aren't shooting at each other, they are practicing for it. In the case of lead ore, China seems to be on a buying frenzy.

As for the shortage of firearms, the only two reasons that come to mind are these:
1. Anticipation of four years of a gun-grabbing administration.
2. Anticipation of a $600/$1,200 government check in early summer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UncleFudd,

First, congratulations on exceedingly good business.

Second, thanks for the info. We go to our favorite gun stores at least monthly. We'd tried to purchase hardware for the AR15, ammo of various calibers for hand guns and rifles only to find none. You have to be there the day the delivery comes in, pretty much.

This is a good heads up for everyone. Get stocked up quickly, even if you have to make other budget compromises.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys;

An update as of the first of May.

I know people are experienceing some weird situations with ammo, reloading components and guns depending upon where you are in the country at any given time. My professional opinion is that this is going to continue for the forseeable future and although the guns are once again available in good numbers they will continue to be on again, off again as time goes on.
There truly is a lot of buying now that has not been prevalent since the Brady fiasco of the early to mid 90s and guns in particular are going to continue to be spotty at times in different locations around the nation.
It appears the uncertainty of the candidates and the possibilities of having the gungrabbing individuals elected seem to be spurring some of the buying that is currently taking place.
Be that as it may and for whatever the reason(s) gun sales are currrently off the scale and that again IMHO is a good thing especially if we are bringing numbers of new people into the gunowning ranks and then and only then if all of us participate in the NRA, CCRKBA and others and the politics of keeping our rights in place and whole along with their purchases. If we don't none of this will matter for long anyway.

As for the ammo and components, as mentioned we are in a war and the war effort will be the priority as it should be for as long as it lasts. In addition we have some of our foreign bretheren not only control the commodities needed to manufacture some or most of the pieces, they also control the market and its' price. One of the reasons it is so costly to buy lead or brass or primers etc. This is something that is not at an end to the cost ceilings. It WILL become more expensive to buy these items and I am not certain when or if we will see an end to it any time soon. If my dealer prices are any indication, we are in for some real sticker shock now and more frequently in our future.

So as I said at the beginning of this thread, if you have contemplated buying a new gun or adding to your ammo stash or bringing your reloading components up to snuff, do not hesitate. It may look and be expensive now, but two things are to be expected: (a) the price will go up much more and soon, and (b) the price will not in any reasonable time in the future ever come back to what it is today let alone what it was 6 months or a year ago. Forget it, it is not going to happen.

Now, I am not making anything for this and I, just as you must pay for everything that I need for my shooting pleasure or needs. So my only reason for taking the time to write these warnings if you will is to wake you up to what is happening and to what if anything you need to consider if you want to help yourself and add to your arsenal accordingly.
Last but not least, look around make calls to ask questions. Guns and ammo prices are flexible and if you have only shopped at the large chain stores, you are paying perhaps $60 tp $120 more for every gun than nyou will at your smaller privatly owned businesses. Try them, you will be very pleasantly surprised and that extra money is better in your pocket than in those of the large Cabellas and Bass pro stores.

Take care all and good shooting every day.

UF

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks UF

In regards to the prices that you mention at the small mom & pop type places, I've found you to me 100% correct - If you find the right one (as I luckily have) Small place, not a lot of inventory, but once I figure out what I want - they order it for me and I usually have it within a week if its something thats readily available. They ALWAYS beat the Gander Mtns, Sportsmans Warehouse, Cabelas of the world by enough to justify the 45 min drive. They make very little profit I'm sure on these transactions but they do a lot of them and I always try buy something else while I'm there .... powder .... primers .... some ammo .... whatever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts