Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been shooting shotguns and rifels for a long time but never a pistol. I have become interested in getting a 1911 type pistol and would like your input. This will not be a carry gun so Im not looking for a compact gun. Would like to be in the $800.00 to $1000.00 range. Have been looking at S&W, Kimber. I have a Kimbet 30.06 and love it so have been leaning to the Kimber but for no real reason. What do you have to say?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Kimber makes a fine 1911.... their "entry level" model starts at about $800 (may be more with current panic buying prices). Another consideration is the mid range of the Springfield Armory offerings. Also, you may find an old Colt (Series 70 or earlier) in near-mint condition at that price range.

If you're lookin' for a 1911 under a grand, any of the above would be my choices.

·
Registered
606 Posts
SmokinTom said:
I shoot a Sig Revolution 45 and it shoots great!!
I'm not all that familiar with the SIG offerings, but I was pretty sure they didn't have a 1911. Is the "Revolution 45" a 1911?

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is funny how these things work and how guns in particular may be revived by the smallest of quirks.
the 1911 pistol was all but dead and only being carried or used by the last of the die-hards up until about 98 when the LA SWAT went back to them (Kimber) and there were several great write ups in the big magazines and Zowie, off they go and now everyone is building their version.
At the time, there were only three or four serious manufacturers or contenders in the field who were still making and even committing to new models now and then.
Now, every gun maker in the world either has their own model of the 1911 or is quickly planning to make one.
Colt was always the gun to go to, but then they forgot who brung em to the dance and left you and I out in the cold to concentrate on gummament contracts for the M16.
Springfield never left us and has always and I mean always been right, with the 1911 handguns. they still are and they make very quietly IMHO one of the finest, most durable, basic 1911 designs on the market. Of course now you can order them with all of the bells and whistles, but the basics are there, under all the paint and lipstick making them very hard to beat.
Kimber came along and began putting the bells and whistles on their models out of the box, so to speak and the prices in the beginning were very competitive to go with all the goodies. they are great guns but the price is nearly what one would pay for an entry level, "custom" 1911. Now it seems, they have made the same fatal error that all 1911 manufacturers make at one time or another, they are making them too tight while trying to be the best. This is causing some serious feed and eject problems with an uncomfortable number of the new guns off the shelf. We are having to return an inordinate number of them to be re-worked before they will perform the way they should. Yes, Kimber gives quick turn around time or Priority to those guns, but no one wants to spend 2 grand for a gun and then have to wait up to two weeks to get it out and back for repair.
I talked to them about this several times and I hope they will eventually get their ducks in the rows again soon.
Now Taurus and Sig and many others are entereing the 1911 race and it is a good thing as it will help to keep our prices in order "I hope" and hopefully it will also keep the R&D busy and cranking out new and better ideas for an old war horse.

So in the end, yes, they make them but many are new and some do not make their parts interchangeable. Remember, the great thing about the Colts and Springfields has always been that I could go to the window and order every piece that I wanted to add to my 1911 no matter what it was and I knew regardless of manufacturer, it would fit my gun. From th firing pin to the barrel and from the mainspring to the guide rod, they were all the same and it made it easy to have spare parts or to make a beautiful custom gun all by myself.
If you are going to stray from the basics, keep this in mind and the reason I say that is that every one of us who own guns, will at some point, "customize" or "personalize" our gun.
It would be very rude to find out that after buying one of these expensive new models I can only use their parts when and if they decide to make them at all.
I will stay with the originals for now, such as my new Springfield or the Kimber if I were to change to something other then my Springfield.
I like the looks of and the warranty given by Taurus as well. But then I think about the "basics" the guts and backbone of the gun and I just naturally go back to the original. But that is just me.

Food for thought.

UF

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was looking for the same thing. A fun gun, not for carry, but a good solid entry level gun. My dealer suggested the Para-Ordinance GI Expert. It has more standard options than the Springfield and was only $579. That extra money could buy a lot of ammo . . . :mrgreen:

Just in case you're interested:
http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_expert.php

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to get straight to the point I think you should give springfield a try. They are right in your range and I out shoot kimbers with mine at tournaments. If your looking for a good entry level pistol, the oporator and trophy match are good choices. An even more upgraded one is the TRP it has a match grade bull barrel. So thats just a thought, I heart Springfield.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jeremiah Johnson said:
Just to get straight to the point I think you should give springfield a try. They are right in your range and I out shoot kimbers with mine at tournaments. If your looking for a good entry level pistol, the oporator and trophy match are good choices. An even more upgraded one is the TRP it has a match grade bull barrel. So thats just a thought, I heart Springfield.
I would be more comfortable saying that "I out shoot Kimber shooters," than Kimbers. I know for a fact that handheld they are both very comparable. Funny thing about Springfields. A member of the IDPA group I shoot with had a bad experience with a Springfield about 5 years ago, then a worse experience with Springfield service. If you can believe it, one jackass from their shop theorized that his FTF problem was the "altitude" here in Colorado. :roll: I've since heard another guy talk about an absolutely lame response from their service department. Nobody I know shoot one as a result, nothing travels faster than word of mouth, and poor customer service and idiot people taking calls has cost Springfield a lot of sales in this area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TMats said:
Jeremiah Johnson said:
I would be more comfortable saying that "I out shoot Kimber shooters," than Kimbers. I know for a fact that handheld they are both very comparable. Funny thing about Springfields. A member of the IDPA group I shoot with had a bad experience with a Springfield about 5 years ago, then a worse experience with Springfield service. If you can believe it, one jackass from their shop theorized that his FTF problem was the "altitude" here in Colorado. :roll: I've since heard another guy talk about an absolutely lame response from their service department. Nobody I know shoot one as a result, nothing travels faster than word of mouth, and poor customer service and idiot people taking calls has cost Springfield a lot of sales in this area.
I would be comfortable saying that my springfield groups just as good as a kimber. And all you are is one of those guys that says dont get this thing because something happened to this guys friend so dont get it. I have had good run in's with the people at springfield and their customer service. Every place has those people who dont know as much as you would like for them to.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jeremiah Johnson said:
I would be comfortable saying that my springfield groups just as good as a kimber.
Pretty sure that's exactly what I said. As to the rest... I don't care if you, or anyone else buys one. Obviously, they wouldn't be in business if everyone had a bad experience. I just told a story; not sure why you seemed to take it personally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
quote] Pretty sure that's exactly what I said.[/quote]
No sir you said that i out shoot people who shoot kimbers. I said that my sprinfield shoots as good as a kimber. Your the one whos tryin to start something by trying to prove me wrong and not even helping the guy who posted.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jeremiah Johnson said:
TMats said:
Pretty sure that's exactly what I said.
No sir you said that i out shoot people who shoot kimbers. I said that my sprinfield shoots as good as a kimber. Your the one whos tryin to start something by trying to prove me wrong and not even helping the guy who posted.
Well this is stupid. Here is your exact quote:
...I think you should give springfield a try. They are right in your range and I out shoot kimbers with mine at tournaments.
Now, where is the friggin' misunderstanding in that?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, at the risk of seeming to 'pile on' I personally can't speak highly enough about Springfield 1911-A1 quality, reliability and service. The gun pictured here is just a standard 1911-A1 Mil-Spec that I bought with the intent to have it tricked up a bit to shoot Bullseye competitions. I would have bought their less expensive "G.I. Model" but then I'd have had to have the pistolsmith lower and flare the ejector port at greater expense and that is already done on the Mil-Spec Model. The gun shot fine out of the box, but a trigger job (3.5# pull), a full length slide-mounted sight rail, a lighter recoil spring accommodating the added weight of the dot, a Kart Match barrel and bushing and a bit of practice have enabled it to shoot better than I will ever will be capable of.

If I'm not mistaken, Springfield is one of the few manufacturers that still strictly adheres to the original 1911-A1 design specs for all parts ... this is a plus as dang near anything made these days fits the Springfield 1911-A1.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have quite a number of .45's and have stopped buying anything but Springfields. That said, I carry Colt Commanders.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Funny thing, Paul ... when it comes to carrying, I reach for my Para CCO Carry .45 ACP:

It has the same 1911-A1 feel and less snag points.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello everyone:

I write from Chile and Im glad of finding this forum because I want you to give me your opinions about two 1911s

the first:

Sprinfield Armory 1911 A1

and the second:

S&W 1911:

thanks in advance for your comments

kidoin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts