Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently applied for and received my CCW. I currently have an S&W 9mm but want to move up to a .45 ACP as a carry gun.

Looking for opinions on the Colt Commander and the Colt Combat Commander in blue.

Any other input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
have you tried shooting a sub/compact 45?

if not, i would try to find some to try shooting. also, if youre going to shoot +P rounds or any HD/SD rounds, i would try shooting what you want to carry.

then, i would see how you feel about carry one.

i have a Colt Combat Commander that i got used. It was worked on by a local 1911 smith. dont know why the original owner sold it either since its a really nice tack driver. its just a paper puncher. since the condition is almost 100% other then the mods, i dont want to carry it. i have other toys for that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used a 1911 but have not used the Commander size 1911. I call the sub-compact the real short 3" barreled ones. I have not had a chance to use a sub-compact.

I am a little leery about the Commander as it has an alloy frame. But, it is about 6 oz lighter to carry than the Combat. My thinking is the extra 6 oz would certainly be heavier to carry but would surely last for more rounds than the alloy and would probably have a little less recoil - better for follow-up shots.

Looking for opinions from those who know more than I.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Road Rat said:
I have used a 1911 but have not used the Commander size 1911. I call the sub-compact the real short 3" barreled ones. I have not had a chance to use a sub-compact.

I am a little leery about the Commander as it has an alloy frame. But, it is about 6 oz lighter to carry than the Combat. My thinking is the extra 6 oz would certainly be heavier to carry but would surely last for more rounds than the alloy and would probably have a little less recoil - better for follow-up shots.

Looking for opinions from those who know more than I.
you may want to try to find/shoot a commander style (or whatever size youre looking for) size gun. sometimes the recoil can be difficult/hard to handle for some people. i would also make sure you can shoot the ammo you plan on carrying since alot of people want +P ammo.

as far as the commander with an alloy frame, Colt did make the commander with the steel frame. Im sure others have too, but im not current on what other people are making. IIRC, kimber makes smaller/steel frame 1911s, but theres alot of anti Kimber people out theret too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Roadrat;
I have heard the questions about the alloy frames for years and I can tell you from personal experience that there is no problem with them whatsoever.
I have the Colt, LW Commander and it has nearly 400,000 rounds through it and is continues to function flawlessly.
The only problem it ever had was with the feed ramp. I wore it out close to the time I changed the first barrel. I had had it worked on a time or two and at about 90,000 rounds I put in a new, "ramped" barrel and every time I change the barrel I put in another ramped one and I never have a problem. (I do change the springs and bushings etc as needed)
Until about three years ago, it was my primary (only) carry weapon and I was never without it. I have since built my own LW Commander in 9MM to replace the 45 as I have developed some muscle and tendon problems in my hands making the recoil very uncomfortable. By that I mean that even at my age I now down to a minimum of 150 to 300 rounds per day, three days each week in practice and when trying to use the 45 I have trouble hanging on to it after about 50 or 60 rounds. So I built my own 9 and retired the 45. The LW 9MM is identical in every part and piece to the 45, including the sights and triggers.

I have just gotten the new Springfield Armory, EMP in 9MM and have about 10,000 rounds through it already and I am sold on it for the carry gun to go to if one is changing or looking for THE carry gun.
The Springfield Armory firearms, in particular have been around since the beginning of the 1911s. Unlike Colt who have forgotten who made their company famous and quit building and improving the civilian firearms, SA has remained true to their base and they continue to improve constantly, all to our benefit.

Since the LA swat went back to the 1911 pistols for their carry gun of choice and the large magazine publishers did the stories about their switch to the Kimbers, the 1911 has made perhaps the largest resurgence of gun sales in the history of the pistol. So much so that nearly every major manufacturer of handguns has or is now building "their" version of 1911.

But as with all things new, most are also having problems with their entries so be cautious about your manufacturer as price is not the only consideration. For example the Kimbers seem to be having feed and eject problems in spite of being "top of the line" and having all the bells and whistles. Yes they have a great warranty program but they are backed up and it will take your gun in excess of a week to two to get it out and back, repaired for something that should not exist after being in business for so long and after making so many guns and selling them by the tin. IMHO, they fell for the oldest problem in the 1911 catalog, they are trying to make them too tight. 1911s need to be loose to function properly when they get hot. Make them too tight and they stick.
Anyway, talk to people who own guns, 1911s if that is your interest and find out what is working and how many are having troubles and what those may be. Are their troubles resulting in having to return the gun for repair. Not Good.

Everyone will of course have their favs, and that is understandable, but look at the time their 1911s have been in production and how many are sleeing and of course price and warranty service.
Another item of importance is to be certain all parts are interchangeable with other guns and manufacrurers such as Wilson parts and Les Baer and Brownells etc in the event you want to upgrade or just change from one item to another that you happen to like better. Not all 1911s qill do so and you wind up being stuck with a gun that you can only use their parts and if they don't happen to make the sights or trigger or slide stop etc that you want to install, tough luck.

If you have a range i yur rea that has a rental program, go there and invest your money wisely in trying as many models as you possible can.

One more thing, if this is to be your carry gun, what will you carry in, how will you dress, what will be your regular activities, can you hide it well enough to be able to take it "every place" you go so it is always with you? Can you afford to feed it a lot as there is no substitute for training and practice. If you are serious, these items are crucial in selecting your carry gun and the last but the all important issue is "can your wife or significant other use this gun as well as yu can"?
This one item has always confused me about seemingly intelligent and well-meaning CCW holders or self defense minded individuals. If you are the only one in the family who can operte your gun in emergency, then only 1/2 of your fighting force and ability are available to you. What happens when you are physically involved with the bad guy(s) and you are unable to get to your weapon? HHHMMMMM!!!!!

Lots of food for thought. Good luck and let us know what you choose. Be careful and I sincerely hope some of this will help you to be better infoemed and able to make a wise decision in choosing your firearm.

UF
www.caswells.com

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi road Rat,

I just picked up this Stainless Kimber 1911.

It's a very nice pistol. I haven't fired it yet, but will next week. This is my first Kimber. I also bought this Kimber 8400 L.A. Police Tactical in .300 Win. Mag. which I'll be scoping out next week with a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15X 40 MM. in Leupold Mark IV Rings. Bill T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.