Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I surf this site all the time and thought I would register and say hi. Any way I have a question about a couple of handguns, I am thinking about geting a new handgun for deer hunting. My questions are what caliber should I be thinking about? a buddy of mine says not to buy anything smaller than a 454 casull but I am thinking that I don't need anything bigger than a 44 magnum, I have never shot a 454 but have shot a 44mag. The longest shot that i would probably take is about 50 yards. Also he is saying to buy a Taurus Raging Bull but I am thinking Ruger Super Blackhawk. What are some of your thoughts on these handguns and what caliber do you think. Sorry so long winded. Thanks Jon

·
Registered
640 Posts
The 44mag would be more than sufficient for your needs as well as being much cheaper to shoot (important as it takes quite a bit of practice to become proficient with a handgun). I have a 454 Casull in a Ruger Super Redhawk and much prefer it to any Taurus, I have not been impressed by these guns over the years and for just slightly more money one can get a reliable and proven Ruger. Plus, if anything should go wrong, Ruger customer service is the bar others strive for.
The Super Blackhawk is another outstanding gun and I doubt you would be disappointed with it. I do not have a Blackhawk but I do have a pair of Vaqueros which are the "cowboy" version of that gun. They are very rugged and should handle any 44 mag rounds you would care to try.
Another option you might consider is the 41 mag. It is not as common a round as the 44 mag so finding factory loads could be a problem but it is a little lighter bullet which would mean a little less recoil. Most companies that field a 44 mag also chamber this cartridge but as I said, it can be much harder to find.
I am not a fan of the 357 for deer, it is an experts gun as it leaves very little room for error in shot placement. Too, most factory ammo is not suitable for deer hunting and one needs to look for specialty manufacturers such as Buffalo Bore, Corbon, Garrett, and such which can be tough to find and fairly expensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
+1 on Rugers.

A .44 Mag or .45 Colt (particularly if you handload) should work well for your intended use. Unless you want to use a scope, a Super Blackhawk or Bisley would be nice. I personally prefer the Bisleys, but many don't.

If you want to scope the revolver, a Super Redhawk would work, but it's pretty bulky if you walk around a lot. In .45/.454, extracting fired cases can also be difficult.

I've not used one, but the Ruger Hunter models have a good reputation among folks that prefer a scoped single action for hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response, I found a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag it is stainless with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, it looks to be in good shape he is asking $425.00 for it, does this sound like a good price or should I keep looking. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Jon

·
Registered
640 Posts
Around here that would be a good price from a gun shop and about typical for a private sale. Prices can vary quite a bit from region to region so it might pay to make a few calls to shops to get a price estimate. Then again, if it is something you want, and can afford, often times price does not matter much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope I haven't gotten one yet, the kids started school and it seems like I am getting moneyed to death. Always needing something it seems like. Am planning on buying one after the first of the year though. More than likely it will be a Super Black Hawk, I love the cowboy guns. Jon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi JonMac. I have a Super Red Hawk in 44 mag. it is a great shooter and I have taken several deer with it. I also have a TC Contender with 14 inch 44 mag. barrel that has taken more deer at longer ranges, out to 78 yards, measured. I also have a 14 inch barrel in 357 Maximum which is good too. I have taken a few deer with it as well. To me it would be a Ruger or TC. To me no one needs anything any larger than a 44 mag. I mean how dead can you kill something.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Caution :!: on that 460... ammo is NOT CHEAP. My son has one and it pains him to feed it for an afternoon's target practice! But... if you shoot something with it, it stays hurt... or dead.
If you aren't going after grizz, then that .44 Mag will do all you need.
JMHO
///olde :) pharte///

·
Registered
585 Posts
I like the .45Colt best, but the .44mag is a good gun. The bigger cal. are unnecessary for deer. The .357 is adequate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Correct me if Im wrong, but cant you shoot the 454 Casull and the .45 long colt in a 460?
I have a 454 and can shoot .45 long colt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
don't believe the ones to say- big guns- most can't shoot the really big handguns with accuracy- it's only a macho thing

I have a pair of Ruger New Model Blackhawks- .357 mag- they have accunted for numerous nice bucks and a couple of bear-
with the right factory amo- or handloads- they are accurate and will kill a deer at 150 yards- if you can shoot the gun

I've changed from a scope to a holographic on one- the other I like open sighted and on my hip- as I like still hunting

practice- practice- practice- a handgun not off a rest is a hard thing to be accurate with- meaning- you may get one shot- make sure you can put 100 in a 4" circle everytime before you go hunt where you might get only one shot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im no expert with a handgun,(This is the first hunting pistol I have ever owned),,But these were shot at 30 yards freehand,,Bam,Bam!
I dont do the "macho thing" Just like to kill hogs.................

Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts