Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some searches here, found some great stuff, but still have a question or two.

I'm strongly left eye dominant, shoot long arms lefty but pistols righty.

Am I shooting "cockeyed" or at an off-angle using my left eye with a pistol in my right hand?
If I draw with my left hand, my sights come up perfectly aligned and on target. Drawing with my right hand feels better in my hand, but my sight-target alignment is consistently inconsistent.
Target shooting with left eye, right hand is no problem.
Pin shoots, and other quick acquisition type shoots are iffy at best requiring constant eye-hand adjustment.

Should I go lefty with pistols? It feels OK to good with little practice. Im an amateur shooter by most definitions, but would like to learn once and learn right rather than re enforcing poor habits further.
Thanks for the input, I apologize if im asking questions that have been answered here before.

·
Registered
62 Posts
re: Which is worse, shooting right handed with left eye, or.

Both situations are imminently curable. If you can acquire your sights faster and with more accuracy from the leftside...than just dry practice your presentation from the holster from that side until it becomes totally smooth, fast and natural. If you prefer your presentation from the right side...than at point in (aim), simply move the weapon more to the centerline of your body and turn your head to the right just enough to line up your left eye directly behind the rear sight and align both sights for the shot. Again, with enough dry practice...you should be quick and accurate enough to have a fine time out there on the range.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts