Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from a new member. I am 52 and have been shooting all my life but just got my concealed carry permit, I was wondering if you ever tell your friends, wife or children when you have a gun along? I have read volumes but haven't seen this topic discussed at all.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome to pistolworld

My wife usually doesn't even realize it - she usually just assumes I am. Friends - don't need to know IMO - assuming its in your posession and under your control at all times.

Let me clarify - I wanted to smack the living $hit out my brother one time for leaving a 9mm on top of my entertainment center and not telling me it was there. He took it off to be more comfortable, but my kids can and do climb up there (despite our best intentions) and get things down when you're not looking. In that case - either leave it on or let the homeowner decide where to put it. Everytime my wife's uncle comes to our house - first thing through the door - he hands me whatever it is he's carrying at the time and tells me to "put it some place away from the kids"

·
Registered
640 Posts
I tell no one I'm packing, it isn't their business in the least. When I enter someone else's place, I either lock the gun in the car or put up with the discomfort and remain carrying. If a rule of the homeowners I was visiting I might give them the gun to keep but no one I know asks that and neither do I. The best that can happen is someone will spout something about you carrying and you may get strange stares from others or asked to leave a business. The worst would be them saying something like, "Do something," during a particularly intense moment and escalate the situation. Kids are the worst as they all too often get wrapped up in that "My daddy can beat up your daddy" game (it still continues on into their teens but using different wording) and that can be particularly troublesome in this day and age.
I don't even tell my wife I'm carrying, in the dozen years we've dated and been married, I think she just realized I even carry this past weekend when I removed my gun. I thought she was in a different room and I was in the process of removing my holstered pistol when she stepped out from around a corner. I nonchalantly set the gun and holster on the cabinet and let the other dogs in from outside. She hasn't said a word about it yet so I still don't know just what she knows or suspects.
I'm surprised you have not run across mention of this subject someplace, I've seen and read of it from people such as Mossad Ayoob, Clint Smith, Jeff Cooper, and many others. All pretty much say to not tell others except wife and maybe kids when they get old enough to understand the ramifications. It is also important to work out an agreement between you and your wife on how she should at if a problem should arise (doesn't have to be deadly either) and the proper way of handling it. Her saying to you, "Shoot him" is not one of them most of the time. My wife is "Born Again" has stated a couple of times she would rather have her head in the sand (in not so many words) so I feel it better to not let her know I carry. I feel God will look after my soul but my physical well being is my responsibility. Needless to say this has caused some friction in the past so I have not broached the subject very often. I may have to change that idea now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Danf

Uglydog said it all and very well to boot IMHO.

I have been an active instr for law and civilian for many years and the one thing I preach is "tell no one".

As UD said it is no one's business.

Now to that I would say you should become familiar and comfortable with your firearm and how and what you carry in. This being said, the gun should never present a problem for you or anyone else no matter where you find yourself. It does not show up to become a matter of discussion.

It is on your person for a very specific, personal reason. Why would you let anyone know you have it and destroy your element of surprise at any time.

If you have to ask, I suspect you are still working on your carry equipment because once you have that solved, your gun will not be presented regardless of where you find yourself.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you have many successful years of carrying and shooting (at paper).

UF

·
Registered
46 Posts
I tell no one except my wife. I don't really tell her either. She just knows that I always carry. There were some very good points brought up in this thread though. I do believe it is important that my wife know how to react if the need ever arises (God forbid) that I need to use my firearm to defend us. Other than that, it is no one elses business that I am carrying a concealed weapon. I live in Michigan, so there are places that I am restricted from carrying, but it is my responsibility to know the law, so I know where I can and cannot carry, so there is no neet to tell anyone other than law enforcement that I may interact with.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't "tell" anyone. My wife knows I'm packing, and I know she is. My close friends always expect that I am, but I don't announce it. I can't carry at work, but those who know us know we don't go anywhere else without being armed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Silence is golden, your teacher should have stressed to tell no one your carrying, the last thing you want is a loved one or friend blurting out to a bunch of thugs that you have a gun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
only people I've taken to the range or been at the range with. Wife, mom, dad, brother, sister. About 3 close co-workers with my volunteer job with local PD department. I'm legal at work so most assume, but I've never confirmed or denied. But I do know of 2 that are packing. One is also a volunteer with my department. In a nut shell. Concealed Carry is Concealed. Not covered. And hidden, from sight and conversation. If it's ever needed our element of surprise is our best friend. 8 people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do not tell.
I find the Don't ask/Don't tell rule to work just fine.

My wife and daughter and mother know I carry, just not always when.

My daughter (21) had a recent encounter at college with a boy. He filed a complaint on her for a threat. I worry that a 6ft 180lb fit young man can be threatened by a 5ft 3" 95lb girl. But, when the smoke cleared the campus police informed us it was a clear case of he said/she said and they knew all about her CC permit.

Interesting thing is: She does not have a CC permit yet, she lives on campus and is prohibited from having ANY weapon (we have had lots of discussions on safety) and only her friends including the boy, knew she wanted a CC permit.

Now, she knows never to discuss it. Also, when she gets a permit, never to tell anyone that she carries.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, my cover has been blown. Since I had to use my carry gun against an armed attacker and it made the news, everybody knows that I have a permit and do carry. My neighbors, my boss, everybody. Now people are always asking "Are you carrying it now? Lemme see it!" I lie and say no. Or when I walk into work and people throw their hands up and say "Don't shoot!" Boy, that never gets old. Don't tell anybody. Your spouse or significant other will know that you carry, but that is unavoidable. My girlfriend used to ask "Why are you bringing your gun?" and roll her eyes. Now that it saved my life, she asks "You remembered your gun, didn't you?"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: re: Who do you tell when you are packing?

killerb said:
Well, my cover has been blown. Since I had to use my carry gun against an armed attacker and it made the news, everybody knows that I have a permit and do carry. My neighbors, my boss, everybody. Now people are always asking "Are you carrying it now? Lemme see it!" I lie and say no. Or when I walk into work and people throw their hands up and say "Don't shoot!" Boy, that never gets old. Don't tell anybody. Your spouse or significant other will know that you carry, but that is unavoidable. My girlfriend used to ask "Why are you bringing your gun?" and roll her eyes. Now that it saved my life, she asks "You remembered your gun, didn't you?"
killerb,
1. Be careful what you post. If this incident is ever open to civil action against you, postings are poisonous. Otherwise, glad to see you made it out alive.

2. Thank God my wife has never been in the "roll your eyes" group. She watches out and if she can tell I am packing, she lets me know I need to make a clothing adjustment. She admitted that most of the time she does not know if I am packing or not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That is why I don't go into any detail. The fact that it happened is public record, so I see nothing that could be used against me by simply stating that I was involved in a self-defense shooting. Also Michigan's "Castle Doctrine" law protects citizens from civil liability when deadly force is used legally. I was 100% legal and above board. It was almost as if that new "Castle Doctrine" law was written specifically for me. The only reason I mentioned it now was as a cautionary tale about what happens when people know that you carry. They act differently and say stupid things that could exacerbate a situation or get you into trouble. The last thing you need in a non-life threatening situation is for someone to pipe up and say, "Hey, why don't you do something? You have a gun." That could be construed as a threat by your antagonist and escalate the danger of the situation. You don't need that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
wish i could cc but im in the anti gun norty of canada vacouver wher guns are evil tools of the hells angels and other drug gangs,
or so the scared shitless average citezen believes.

if i could carry my 1911 i would but thos dam liberals wont let me take it anywhere but the range the gunshop and home.

there are far too many people of this sort. for example my neibor, "dawn" we will call her.

i am a good friend of her brother in law and husband, one day when they cam over for dinner (myself and the brothers where planning a shooting/hunting expidition) we heard a loud explosion that sounded like a shotgun or high caliber handgun.

i then went and got my handgun and gave my shotgun to the brother in-law(he has a gun permit).

i went to a window to investigate to discover that the people next door where setting off m80s at 11:00 at night.

dawn then cam out of the bathroom puzzled at the noise.
seeing the guns she freaked out and acused us of shooting in the house. she then proceeded to spoil the eveneing by giving the "guns are evil speech" after we convinced her that whe were not shooting(we had to wait for another m80 to go off).

things where further agravated when i served deer steaks to all but her who got pork. then she switched to the "what did that deer do to you". perhaps you have met the type, obese, unhappy, afraid of most things,keeps a bat by her door but thinks guns should be banned.

unfortunatly this seems to be the only voice heard in parliment.

so i can cc

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have a CCW permit, but I wouldn't tell any one if I was carrying. The only one who needs to know is the bad guy and he'll only know for a short moment. 8)

bearhunter7mm,
I feel for you. I also feel for your neighbor's wife. Ignorance like that is debilitating. Does she also ask what the pig did to you?

G

·
nope! i asked her "what did the pig do to you? she said "it was born tasty!"we talking about a 5'5 200 pound fat chick, member of pita who is afraid of guns.... wich sucks cuz her husband my bud is a great shot who's father brought him up hunting.

many are just afraid of guns, and they are trying to ban handguns in onterible.

the media is having a ball game over this, in the last 6 months there have been 30 drug and gang related shootings wich for us is a record(this is caused by a current drug war between the white biker gangs, the asian gangs, and the punjabi gangs wich have formed modeling black gangs).

despite all this crime is at its statistical lowest in 30 years.

but thanks the the media people are scared worse than if they thought bush was president... oh wait! he is! aaaa sh!7 .

·
Registered
44 Posts
My wife and my sons know that I carry....Not always when .... They understand "concealed carry" so they also know very clearly that it is no one else's business and have never given me concern about that.

G

·
wife, mom, dad, close friends that I shoot with and are also CCW or cops. Like many have said " silence is golden." You don't want to go into a store with your buddy and there is a robbery in progress and he yells " shoot him, dude!". You know the type.

·
Registered
19 Posts
UglyDog said:
I don't even tell my wife I'm carrying, in the dozen years we've dated and been married, I think she just realized I even carry this past weekend when I removed my gun.
Uglydog, I had to laugh out loud at this...I bet she knew the whole time ;). Diplomacy you know.

I don't see any reason to tell anyone except the spouse and older kids when you carry. It's not their responsibility, it's the responsibility of the permit holder/carrier.

3/4 or more of my friends/colleagues would be stunned to know, and probably never talk to me again. Which is fine. Their choice.

But I'll do what I feel I need to do.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts