Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm writing a crime/murder-mystery novel and realized that I had no idea what kind of weapons to use. I understand that this isn't the run-of-the-mill forum topic for this site, but I'm hoping for some help and figured that you all would be the best to give it. My characters work on their own and are unafraid to kill or draw blood. They would most likely lean to the heavier, more lethal weapons than not. Although one of them has the general physique of a woman (even though he's a man) if that makes a difference.

So, here are some general questions, but any and all advice would be appreciated since I'm not sure exactly what I need right now for the book in the future. I want to be as detailed as possible in my action scenes. Thanks!

-If you knew you were going to get into a skirmish, what would you bring to the fight?
-Which rounds have the best stopping power? What's the advantage of having hollow points versus not?

(And if this topic isn't appreciated within this kind of site, please let me know. I don't mean to offend! Thanks again)

·
Registered
8 Posts
An observation, the personalities of your characters can be matched to a particular firearm/load helping to define them. If for example one has a Navy Seal background they would be might be attracted to a Sig Sauer p226 9mm pistol or HK MP5 9mm Submachine gun or M24/M25/M82 sniper rifles. For the close in or barker work that NEVER happened a whisper quiet .25.

A retired cop why not a "Mickey Spilane" (spelling) .38 Special revolver?

Hopefully other folks here will come up with some suggestions for you. Crack shots with silly calibers for silly reasons but it works for them sorts of stories. Another angle is that "it" doesn't work for them...ever...which makes for exciting times.

Hand cannons ala Dirty Harry? .44 Magnum? .50 Action Express? When one must absolutely stop what you are shooting at. Kick like a mule...

Good Luck,

few

·
Registered
52 Posts
If I were going into a firefight and had the choice of any weapon in the world (not generally civillian legal), I'd take a fully automatic AK-47 in 7.62x39 and a Remington 12 Gauge pump shotgun with the barrel sawn off. As for a handgun, I'd be tempted to take a Glock 21 in .45 ACP. If I could only have civillian legal guns, I'd probably take an SKS in 7.62x39 and a Remington 12 Gauge pump with the factory 18.5" barrel. I'd pick the Glock 21 again, though.
One thing to remember is that a rifle is almost always more powerful than a handgun, and a 12 gauge shotgun is more powerful than most assault rifles. (There is no "assault Weapon", that's a term made up by the media as a scare tactic, so please don't use it). Although shotguns and rifles are sometimes pretty close to each other, they are used for very different purposes. A rifle is best for long range work (outside of 100 yards) or where you need a pinpoint shot. A shotgun is best for close in where you can spread shot around a little. Be aware, though, that a shotgun will only spray shot at a rate of about 1" of spread per yard away that the target is, they can't wipe a whole room clean with one shot. The same goes for scopes on rifles, they're best during the day in the open, while an open sight would be better at night or close up. In reality, a handgun should only be used to fight your way back to the rifle/shotgun you should have never put down.

Different situations would probably require different guns, however.As a scene comes up, feel free to post what situation you have and I (at least) will be more than happy to give you my recomendations for firearms

R77

·
Registered
240 Posts
Not to be rude but wouldn't it be better to write about a subject you know? I'm not speaking of lack of experience concerning crime/murder but firearms. Already too many books out there about crime/murder and they only add to fuel the liberal view that firearms are only for this use.

Good fortune in your writing endevor but I don't think you will get a lot of advice from most for the reason I stated above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: re: Writing a book---need some advice

WDBradley said:
Not to be rude but wouldn't it be better to write about a subject you know? I'm not speaking of lack of experience concerning crime/murder but firearms. Already too many books out there about crime/murder and they only add to fuel the liberal view that firearms are only for this use.

Good fortune in your writing endevor but I don't think you will get a lot of advice from most for the reason I stated above.
I completely understand where you're coming from, but that's the entire reason why I picked this site to ask for help. I knew that whoever responded would know a lot about what they were talking about and wouldn't rely on stereotypes to give their answer. I'll do my best to respect the users of this site (and anyone who uses a gun for the right reasons) within my story. I'm also hoping to bounce the edited version off of a couple of different people that don't know me personally in order to eliminate some of those stereotypes that may have slipped into the story on accident if that helps at all.

Thank you SS and few for giving me advice! I might just take you up on that offer SS. And thank you WDBradly for expressing your concern, I honestly hadn't even thought about the side affects of the use of weapons in my story and will handle it a lot more sensitively now that it has been brought to my attention. Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Timmy-chan said:
I'm writing a crime/murder-mystery novel and realized that I had no idea what kind of weapons to use. . My characters work . . .
I'm a writer too, and the type of gun your character uses is a great way to help develop their personality. Dirty Harry wouldn't have been DH if he packed a Walther PPK, nor would James Bond carry a .44 Mag.

What you should really do is work on the character's - then your question would become "Character A is a bull in a china shop, what would she use," and "Character B is a refined psychopath who always kills with a single shot through the ear, - what would she use for that?"

IOW, use the choice of weapon as a character trait.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: re: Writing a book---need some advice

WDBradley said:

I agree! I read several books a week, and I have been a shooter for over 50 years. I am amazed at the number of stupid errors made by writers who think they can BS their way through on simple things like what type of gun would a person use and even whatspecific guns do. I have thrown books away unfinished because the author made ridiculous assumptions about a gun or type of gun and based some part of the story on a totally false concept that could have been cleared up with a minuite's reading/research.

Faye Kellerman thinks a "double action" automatic pistol is called that because it fires 2 shots for every trigger pull, and she bases her plot on that ignorant error.

Spend the time and effort searching gun oriented sites and you will be rewarded. Look in gun shops, handle, and yes, shoot a few guns. You will be much better infoemed than 90% of your peers, and the experience will give you some new ideas for your work.
All the best to you and your work.

mark
( I am a pusblshed writer, but never wrote anything about guns.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
industrious95 said:
What you should really do is work on the character's - then your question would become "Character A is a bull in a china shop, what would she use," and "Character B is a refined psychopath who always kills with a single shot through the ear, - what would she use for that?"

IOW, use the choice of weapon as a character trait.
That's awesome. Never really took a careful look at the relationship between a character and their gun, now I'll be sure to. Thanks for the advice!

dogngun said:
Spend the time and effort searching gun oriented sites and you will be rewarded. Look in gun shops, handle, and yes, shoot a few guns. You will be much better informed than 90% of your peers, and the experience will give you some new ideas for your work.
All the best to you and your work.
Thanks, I'll try to do as much as I can and hopefully make something that you wouldn't want to throw away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a series of books designed just for Authors.

I think all the titles start out with:

"The Authors Guide To:.....poisons, firearms, etc"

Otherwise, go with 1911 model .45 ACP and

Pick out some explosive devices/material for whooppee.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.