Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical Q -If a person were to use 4.0, 4.5 or 5.0 grains of Unique in a 45 acp case that should have been loaded with approx 6.4 grain, would it still go Bang and cycle the action.?
Friend of mine thought he was loading Bullseye until I showed him the powder he was using was Unique. He's loaded over 50 and wonders if he needs to pull the bullets. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tell him to feel lucky, I've still got about 75 of 150 to do from my last oops. One of them is about 1 grain under I think. Noticed spilled powder on the loading block.... Which one?!?! Probably wouldn't hurt anything to just shoot, but I'm not risking life and limb (quite literally) to avoid a little inconvenience. Such is our hobby, not always fun, but I like it anyway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
well. if you take a look at a reloading book, it may give you the answer youre/your friend is looking for.

from what i can tell, it will be on the low+ side of book.

also, being lazy can be dangerous. if your friend feels lucky, why not shoot one or a few and see what happens?

also, you may want to tell your friend to always recheck what powder he has. not just say it, but do it.

iirc, in the ABCs of reloading, Grinnel (sp), gives some really good advice in about powders.

1. only have the powder youre using on your bench. dont have other powders in the area.
2. use a business card and write the powder on the back and slip it into the powder hopper. make sure its swapped out when powder is changed.
3. WHEN IT DOUBT THROW IT OUT. If you dont POSITIVELY know what powder is in the hopper.
4. NEVER put powder in unmarked containers.
5. NEVER buy opened powder from garage sales/gun shows. factory sealed is a different story.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, low charge weights of Unique is safe. If he went too low, he could stick a bullet. Right now, he is in the low target load range and they may not cycle (however, 1911s will cycle some pretty weak loads.
Don't ever shoot any of his reloads if this is an example...

·
Registered
66 Posts
If he went below 1.5gn, he might stick a bullet. Just the primer will get the bullet about half way down the barrel.
Depending on his recoil spring, slide weight, and main spring, they may cycle or they may not. They may be irritating, but they are NOT unsafe.
However, being more careful should be the phrase of the day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts