Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first off i dont want to start a 9mm vs 40 ect debate :oops: ...i decided on a 9 for several reasons mainly the cost to shoot vs the 40...but back to the main topic..

I am trying to decide on the XD or the M&P both fit and feel great..so it is more of a question of which is the better gun when is comes to reliblity and durabality...do either have issues? does one have more accessories on the market? is one easier to mantain?

Thoughts? :idea:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, I have never owned nor shot either of those pistols, but I feel compelled to reply simply because no one else has. :D However, my brother does own an XD, and he swears by it. Myself? I would ask why you have not considered a Glock 19. For a 9mm or a .40 cal. I would go for Glock. I'm sure this did not help you at all, but at least someone replied to your post. haha. Good luck, and let us know what you went with.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Im sorry I cant help you further, but I myself have never owned these. I do own several Glocks and would also recomend them. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Amen, Rev. Obviously I would suggest a Glock, but if for some reason you are not a Glock fan, then I would like to add that I have seen many posts on pistol world about the XD, and I dont recall one of them being negative. From everything I have read on this site, the XD compares favorably in reliability, dependability, and durability to the Glock.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'll throw my two cents in. I much prefer the XD over most other handguns of this style, it is what I chose to carry for work and play. I have shot the M&P a little at demos and found it to match my personal feelings towards S&W semi-autos on the whole; they rank just above Beretta and Glock as my least favorite handguns. for whatever reason they do not shoot well for me and for that reason I very seldom pay any attention to them. too, S&W has put out some real poor guns lately and the M&P just reminds me too much of the Sigma which is not well thought of and now that I think of it, seems to have replaced the Sigma in the law enforcement market. It is probably a much better gun that I give credit for but with so many other guns out there in roughly the same price bracket, I'll take my chances on what I feel to be more proven models.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've held both guns, but never shot them; I've yet to hear anything particularly bad about either, though. The M&P, from what I've read, is light-years ahead of the Sigma; at least one person has put 21,000 rounds through an M&P (ToddG over at 9x19mm.com) before cracking the slide (gun still fired, and Smith replaced it). As for the XD, I've heard exactly one complaint: someone I shoot with mentioned that the magazine lips deformed a bit after shooting a lot of SXT +P .45s through it; though it fed OK, it wouldn't drop free, and Springfield happily replaced the magazines.

The M&P seems to be the new standard cop and "first-time shooter" gun where I shoot. No complaints. I would have problems with the magazine safety, but that's more a personal preference, and I understand it's easy to have disabled by a competent gunsmith.

The XD trigger is a bit nicer than the M&P one; the latter is in two pieces, and a bit weird (I'm a SIG guy, so most of this safe-action nonsense feels weird to me).

The XD is a bit chunkier than the M&P, so if your fashion tastes tend towards wet t-shirts, the latter may suit you better as a concealment piece.

I've heard the M&P is a bit of a bear to take down, but have never seen it done or done it myself, so I couldn't elaborate further.

All in all, I would feel quite confident with either choice, at least after I'd rung it out with a few thousand rounds...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would personally pick the XD over the M&P. I have had many pistols, glocks, XD's, Sigma's, colt's, and a S&W revolver.
I feel that the XD is Far Superior to ALL the above. Now there are the glock fans, and others out there that swear by the weapon that they choose, but You asked what our thoughts were between the XD and the M&P, so I would have to say the XD.
I have a Friend who just came back from Afghanistan, and they carried the M&P over there. He also carries an XD here in the States, and would much rather carry the XD than the M&P. He said that there is NO comparison to the XD.
Again, it is what you like and how it feels in your hand.

Here are some links on the XD. Choose wisely, choose an XD. :lol:
http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdo ... tory11.php

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_re ... ringfield/

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/video/tor ... index.html

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/XD-9_Tactical.htm

http://www.pistolgear.com/

http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingti ... sp?ID=4680

I Also like what 'Smoke Em' had to say. Well written Smoke Em', Thank you, and I hope you dont mind if I re-post what you wrote.

Take them apart and look at the construction/design.

The XD has large, robust, heavy steel lugs to support the slide. The Gock uses steel inserts in the polymer frame. I've seen these inserts fail.

Some dislike the grip safety on the XD, but it does allow holstering the gun while not depressing the grip safe and you don't need to worry about snagging the trigger.

LEO Glocks have racked up significant AD's from catching the trigger on accessories on the service gun belt

Trigger on the XD is steel. Glock is polymer. I prefer the trigger on the XD. It's smoother, more discrete.

XD has better grip ergonomics. Everyone agrees on this.

Glock chambers are partially supported, the breech is overbored. They stretch brass. Google "Gock kB."

XD chamber is fully supported. Breech is tight.

Both guns have rust preventive finish on the slide. They're chemically similar processes.

The XD design has won major awards. So has the Glock.

"Compact grip" on the XD shortens the grip length on the 45 ACP about 1 1/2". Ten rd. mag. The full-length grip holds 13 rds. This is a significant design feature you won't find on a Glock.

The XD is made in Croatia, but it's mfg'd there in a plant that is equipped, supported, contracted by Springfield USA. It's a US gun, just like Kershaw are US knives made in China.

Glock is headquarted in Smyrna GA. That's in the USA.

Lots of police depts are trading out their Glocks for the XD.

They're both good guns, excellent guns.

I owned a Glock 22 and didn't care for it at all.

I own an XD, 45 ACP Tactical, Compact grip. I have a Glock GTL 21 laser on it. I also own a Glock tactical field knife.

Glock makes serious stuff. Their guns are serious. I don't care for them, but many swear by them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well shot both again this weekend and a Beretta PX4...Have to say the Beretta fit my hand the best of them all ...being a left handed shooter its hard to find a gun that realy feels right...This one realy does! it was also priced TOO good to pass up! So I picked it for to the tune of $419 with the 2 mags and 3 backstraps and normal stuff in the box...Put about 150 rounds through it this morning and could not ask for better out of the box performance. It is kinda different to get used to as i shoot mostly SA .45LC and the light weight and minimal recoil is throwning me off a bit :oops:...I will post a pic soon...

I still may get an XD in .45 well just because... :D

Thanks again for all the advice...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a Springfield XD in .40 S&W, have put about 500 rounds through it, not a single problem. I have to believe that the 9mm XD-9 is going to be of the same quality. You probably can't go wrong with either, however to give a definitive answer-Springfield XD-9. Good Luck with your decision.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally own the XD .40 Sub-Compact and have to say I love it!!!

First off it is the most reliable gun that I have ever owned. I'm going on 5,000 rounds and have yet to have a misfeed or jam. Something I can't say about previous pistols I've owned.

Secondly it's very accurate and heads and tails above the glock. Basically Springfield took all the features of the Glock but added a reinforced barrel for +P rounds, so no KAA BOOMS!!

I actually carry this as my CHL pistol. It is a little bit bulky compared to other pistols, but I would never trade it in.

I've entered the XD for life!

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Re: re: XD9 vs M&P9

TeXaS PrIdE said:
Secondly it's very accurate and heads and tails above the glock. Basically Springfield took all the features of the Glock but added a reinforced barrel for +P rounds, so no KAA BOOMS!!
Actually, Springfield did nothing with the pistols. They were already being made in Croatia and sold under another company's name. I believe they were called the HS-2000 or something like that.

Springfield is only the importer. They are not U.S. firearms.

That being said, they are pretty good firearms, but I don't know of any major law enforcement agency or police department that has adopted the XD.

More P.D.s are replacing their Glocks with the M&P.
Personally, I am waiting for a lot more people and agencies to wring out the M&P before I purchase one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I stand corrected on Springfield making the firearms, but I do have friends that are law enforcement agents, and they are the ones that actually led me to buy my XD. It all boils down to preference. They are both good guns, but I stand by my initial statement. I wouldn't trade my XD for an M&P. A Sig 226 on the other hand I would gladly give up my XD for, and after I got it turn around and get me another XD :p (Like that will happen :D)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is how the Springfield XD came about, for all those wondering.

The HS-2000 pistol was developed by Croatian IM Metal company for Croatian army during late 1990s. Production of the 9mm HS-2000 started in 1999, with the first pistols being delivered to the Croatian army the same year. In 2000 these pistols first appeared in the USA, initially imported under their original name (HS-2000). However, in late 2001 the Springfield Armory Company of Genseo, Illinois, became the sole importer of HS-2000 pistols in the USA.
Springfield offers a slightly improved version of HS-2000 as the Springfield XD (eXtreme Duty pistol), and by now these pistols (still made in Croatia) are available in a variety of sizes, calibers and finishes.
After several years of aggressive sales, these pistols have gained a Great reputation and serious following among the American shooters, and now several police departments in USA either issue these pistols on a regular basis or approve them for personal purchase by their police officers.
For me, I am one of the fortunate one's that our dept. went from the Glock 22, to the Springfield XD .40, which is By far a Much superior Pistol in My opinion. :p :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am way late on this but congrats on the Beretta. My choice between the XD and M&P will be the M&P. I want one in .45acp at some point. I like them both but Made in the U.S.A makes a big difference to me. Plus my step Dad is Croatian and if I buy an XD that is all I will hear. However if I could find a really good deal on the XD45 Tactical I might bite.

·
Registered
9 Posts
M&P all the way...I think of XD and Glock with the same regard: If it isn't a sub-compact model it's a very run of the mill firearm. M&P is a combat handgun, that's what it was meant for. It can go longer without a cleaning, it's built around the holster/belt draw so nothing catches, and it's a Smith and Wesson. I know people don't like S&W making autos, there known for revolvers, but aside from their first attempt (Sigma F-Series) they are damn good at it.

***If you want knock down power, hit 'em with a car...A hole is a hole***

·
Registered
7 Posts
M&P 9

BTW, the M&P is not a bear to tear down.

you just have to reach into the open action with a provided tool (stored in the grip) or use a pen to flip a lever down..then turn the slide lever and release the slide.

notice I didn't say to dry fire the weapon??

The sear lever flipping (lol) is instead of dry firing the weapon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts