• Glocks

Votes: 3 75.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
XDGirl,

Welcome to the Forum.

The reasons I pick the XD is for the Ergonomics, Comfort, less Felt recoil, Quality, and the fact that I just don't like the feel of glocks.
Don't get me wrong, glocks are great guns, but they are just Not for me.
You cant go wrong with either of the above pistols, just get whatever feels and Fits you best.

As Always, Stay Safe.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I prefer the XD and the HS/2000 it started out as, for the same reasons posted above. I've been issued Glocks twice and have bought two on my own and I just can't shoot them as well nor as comfortably/easily as an XD. When asked to suggest a gun, the Glock is always suggested as one to try but I do not have the blind faith in them some people seem to have (no one here that I recall, it seems those here realize there is nothing that fits all and there would be nothing to talk about and this website would then die if we all agreed on the same things).

·
Registered
5 Posts
:roll: I am new to forum but must comment on the XD. I have the xd-45 and Love the way it handles. Tried the glock but does not feel right. Took my wife in a gun shop and had her check out the glocks and xd and about 4 other brands. She liked the xd-9 best of all and shoots it very well. Cant wait to try the new M-version 40.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I choose Glock. While the XD is similar in design and functionality I like the “looks” of the Glock over the XD. Also, in my opinion, the Glock is still a more simple design. Quite frankly the XD has more moving parts. This obviously does not dictate failure but in my way of thinking this is more to clean and more to go wrong.
I have no doubt the XD is a reliable handgun that will get the job done, but for me it will be a Glock. :D

Rev.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Voted Glock because I have a Glock and don't have an XD. Real scientific, huh? :wink:

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I voted for the finest Austrian made handgun over the finest Croatian made handgun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I voted Glock because I can fix it if I need to rather than sending it in like you have to do with the XD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the XD because I can get a really nice trigger on one. That is personal prefrence. I usedto shoot a lot of glocks as well. But for me I like the XD and XDM.

·
Registered
87 Posts
One thing the XD is superior to the Glock in is handle diameter and that's only for people with short fingers. That's it. Now with the introduction of the Model 21/SF even that reason doesn't hold. Other reasons given to the XD's superiority are subjective to opinion and nothing else.
A few of the given 'reasons' XDs are better:

Price.

The Glock is about $80 more than the XD. I don't know many people who think $80 is something to worry about with something that protects your life. I just put $80.00 worth of gas in my truck this morning.

Machining quality/manufacture.

At the indoor range I shoot at they have XDs come back for warranty work (sometimes complete replacement due to inability to repair). Cracked frames, ftf, stovepiping, chambers needing to be honed. The list goes on and on.

Durability.

Like the aforementioned reason - it's false. Most people have this opinion based on only having a few thousand (if that) rounds through their XDs. At the range they are constantly having problems with their XD rentals (see previous reason problems) while Glocks usually run about 100,000 rounds through them before they cycle a new one into the mix. Those are 100,000 trouble free rounds. Consistently. Wait a few more years when all of these XDs get some real use.

Ergonomics.

XD likes to tout this one in their advertising as well saying that when you point it the sights line up rather than having you look at the top of the slide. Glock went with their 105 degree handle angle for a reason: they tested, tested and did some more testing and found that it provided the best firing results for accuracy and following shots. The XD's handle angle along with its high barrel axis to the hand provide much more muzzle flip than a Glock which in turn means less accurate double-taps and a less control.

Single action vs double action.

The Glock uses the double action for safety. It's one of the reasons it's called Safe-Action. If the striker spring isn't cocked - it can't fire! Just like a down hammer. The XD has a cocked spring. You can count on replacing the striker spring many more times in an XD than a Glock because of this. You also better hope your firing pin block is in proper working order or you're at the mercy of the poorly designed sear of the XD which, by the way, will fire out of battery. Try pushing back on the slide sometime while pulling the trigger. The double action might not be as smooth, clean or as short a pull of the single action, but these are service pistols not target pistols.

The slide lock.

The slide lock on the Glock is designed to be tight against the frame and slide as to not be snagged on anything. They also wanted people to use two hands to release the slide because it's a more controlled manner than hitting the lock with your thumb. This isn't the movies! Release the slide the proper way. The slide lock on the XD also adds a decent amount to the overall width of the weapon - not very carry friendly.

Finish.

Tenifer is not the outside coating. Tenifer is the metal treatment of the slide and barrel itself. It is .005 mm thick and is close the the hardness of diamond. The treatment of the metal itself achieves a 99.9% salt water resistance. Tenifer is also illegal in this country because the EPA. XD does not have it. Don't regularly oil the slide on your XD and carry it in a cold climate for a while. The in/out condensation will rust your slide in no time.

Warranty.

Good thing Springfield has you covered here, you're going to need it.

Field stripping.

The Glock actually uses a faster process which uses less steps than the XD. Also, many people rotate the take-down lever then pull the slide lock down putting all forward inertia of the slide to come to a halt against the sear (it's the only thing keeping the slide from going forward at that point) and cause damage to the sear, striker and frame.

Loaded chamber indicator.

Glock has this as well.

Cocked indicator.

Glock has this as well. If the trigger is forward on a Glock, it's cocked. Also, how are you going to get a round into the chamber on either of these guns without it being cocked? It's not a Walther with a decocker.

Grip safety.

How is a gun going to go off without your hand on the handle? Your finger should never be inside the trigger guard unless you have the weapon acquired and intend to fire. Are we forgetting some basic firearm rules? The grip safety is null and void.

Customization.

If you can't find genuine Glock custom parts for your Glock at your local gun dealer, you need to find a new one. Glock holsters, parts and accessories are everywhere. Try to find a holster for your XD. It's much more difficult. Yes, it's newer and takes a while, but companies will be reluctant to make them because Springfield supplies you with one, albeit a horrible one with not one level of retention.
I felt the need to debunk these XD/Glock myths. The XD is not even close the being up to par with the Glock. The Glock is going on 20 years now and has changed the world of pistols - the XD won't make that sort of impact. Bill T.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure if I really take the time look I can find horror about glocks. Both the XD and GLock are good guns, it comes down to user preference. I like the XD. I have well over 20,000 rounds through my service model in .40 with zero firearm issues. I have only had a trigger job done nad replaced no other parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GLOCK,

In my opinion anyway. I must say that I learned to shoot handgun with a Beretta Vertec. Then I went to a Glock. After the Glock I shot an XD40. I could not get over how tall the slide of the XD was in comparison to the Glock. I felt the same amount of recoil from the XD40 as I did my Glock 21 (.45) The narrower grip was nice but even with my smaller hands I have no gripes about the Glock grip. Most others I talk to who start Glock don't get used to the extra height of the XD. To me it felt like the XD was in my hand as opposed to the Glock being an extension of my hand.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Bill;
That is some real work to tell us all the troubles with XD VS Glock but I have to say as did you, it is all subjective in the end.

I am not great typist so for me to answer every one of your claims would take me a week. So suffice it to say, I have never had a bit more problems with the XDs than with the Glocks and I have rented and or sold more of both than any other dealer/range in the state of AZ.

As for longevity, I have had the rental counter for guns longer than any other dealer/range and I have never experienced in all my years ANY of the problems you expressed with either gun, Glock or the XD.

In fact if your range is having that kind of trouble they might want to look at their cleaning or maintenance proceedures as we just do not have problems with either gun, ever.

I have two glocks and two XDs each with excess of 300,000 rounds through each of them and we have only replaced a couple of magazines and some recoil springs until just a few weeks ago when the barrel of the G19 gave it up (cracked) and we had to send it back. Then the XD( barrel gave up, it was literally a smooth bore and had absolutely no riflings left in it. So we sent it back also. BTW, I rent all of the Glock models as well as the XD models, it is just that these specific guns have been with us longer and we are or have been actually trying to see when or if any of them would break. Normally these guns go back to the manufacturer at the end of a year under our range rental program.

I will agree with you on one point only right now, Springfield does not allow sale even to gunsmiths of their parts any longer. You must now return your gun to them IF you have a problem for repair or replacement.
I just have never had to return one yet for any reason and that is Glock or XD.

So my subjective recommend is either gun will last a long time and if taken care of none of them will break or wear out in your lifetime of normal use. Rental guns get abused and used far in excess of any normal firearm.

Have a great day to all and enjoy your shooting no matter which gun you choose. They are all fun and will last as long as you take good care of them.

UncleFudd

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi folks,

My first post on this board. I have a Glock 26, and I love it. It has been my primary CHL gun, and usually the only one I carry. I sometimes substitute a North American Arms .32 ACP, which is almost as heavy as the Glock, hard to believe.

I have never shot the new Springfield's, but if they are anything like the rifles, they are a good weapon. I'm just a bit biased on a Glock, and the reliability there. It's good to know I can freeze it, drive over it, and then it will still shoot. I do not plan on trying that, though.

javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great Biased opinion by billt no one word on any of the true and know Glock faults or mechanical problems there plagued with! hmmmmmmmmm!

·
Registered
87 Posts
What kills me about the XD is when it was the HS-2000, no one wanted it. This in spite of the fact you could buy them all day long for $250.00. Then, Springfield got involved, doubled the price, threw in $5.00 worth of cheap plastic "gear", advertised the pi$$ out of it, and all of a sudden it's the greatest thing to come along since Monday Night Football. It's even made in the same exact plant in Croatia, by the exact same people. At least Springfield provided them with some job security, because I bet not one received a pay raise. Can you think of any other firearm that the company who produced it will not sell you, or a gunsmith parts for???? Bill T.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well Guys,
As always everyone has thier preferences in a semi-auto pistol,
I just purchased an XD 45 today with a stainless slide and olive drab frame I like the looks very much and hope it shoots as good as it looks.

The Glocks are good durable pistols but do not fit my hand well ,every one I shot always shot low for me I would have to cover the target instead of using the 6 o-clock hold. I like the grip mass and ergonomic shape of the XD and will see in the near future how well it shoots. I may be carrying this on the job to replace the 9mm Stoeger Cougar I have been carrying.

Have to wait for a liittle better weather though to try it out on the range too Damn cold here in sub zero temps. :)

Regards Roy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts